How weird is this???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Blisschick, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I've had chickens who have gotten lighter or darker, but never one whose pattern changed completely.

This is my black laced red Wyandotte hen last year when she had just gotten her first set of adult feathers in. She was a beautiful deep red with clear, flawless lacing.

[​IMG]

Having a lot of chickens and not paying too close attention lately, I discovered today that she'd gone through an almost complete moulting, and her pattern and color have drastically changed!

[​IMG]

Not only is she pencilled now, but she's lost the deep red coloring and now is almost gold. You can still see a few of her old red feathers in her wing. I know for a fact that she's not a partridge or a gold laced, since her parents were blue laced reds.

Has anyone else had a bird do a complete wardrobe change?

2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    can't help you, but man, what a rip off. [​IMG]
    Maybe she will change again next moult? [​IMG]

3. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    I've known GLW's to turn lighter and/or develop some smuttiness as they molt, but this is just strange! I think we need genetics experts [​IMG]

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    No rip off LL...I hatched her myself. [​IMG]

5. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    LOL, no, I meant like a rip off.....like you got the short end of the stick.....you thought you had one thing, and she turned into another color. either way, she is still a nice hen. [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Are you sure that's the same bird? Legs look different colors.

Crazy! She's pretty either way.

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yes, it's the same bird. It's been raining here the past two days, so she's a little muddy.

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    That is CRAZY.

Maybe you can start selling color-changing chickens? LOL [​IMG]

9. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I think its kinda cool actually - maybe not what you thought you had, but I'm just a sucker for surprises...

But you said the parents were BLR's - BOTH of them?

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I've been doing the genetics study of this coloration for the past few weeks, and my guess is one of her parents was carrying an incomplete lacing gene instead of the full perfect one- it's like 2 out of 128 birds get the clean one to start with, and if you breed with the incomplete you can end up with lacing that is actually pencilled or spangled.

I think she's still gorgeous, btw, and if you breed her back to a BLRW, you should get the right offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by