How would you get rid of coyotes?

My neighbors would be really mad if I got a donkey, plus with my injury the donkey would be too big to take care of. I'm in charge of all the animal poo.lol Chicken poo is easy to take care of daily and the dogs do their business in the woods. :)

If we got a donkey, we'd have to have horses too. I only have 4 acres, so only 1 per acre is allowed here.

I started a mealworm farm yesterday for my flock, so they can get their bug fix. I clip grass and sprout alfalfa for them. I also put alfalfa meal in their food or treats.

My neighbors would be really mad if I got a donkey, plus with my injury the donkey would be too big to take care of. I'm in charge of all the animal poo.lol Chicken poo is easy to take care of daily and the dogs do their business in the woods. :)

If we got a donkey, we'd have to have horses too. I only have 4 acres, so only 1 per acre is allowed here.

I started a mealworm farm yesterday for my flock, so they can get their bug fix. I clip grass and sprout alfalfa for them. I also put alfalfa meal in their food or treats.

I don't know how deep you want to go into livestock keeping but with 4 acres you could fence it all (electric) then get a lgd and 3-4 goats. The goats would clean the land up. They love to eat weeds and bushes long before they will ever touch grass. You can put goats on land that is a total mess and they will have it cleaned up in no time! The lgd would guard the goats and the chickens. In your case I'd probably get two dogs and I would leave them outside to do their job 24/7/365. They are quiet and they are not hard to handle at all if tamed. You can tame them and they will walk on a leash like a dog. They make just as good of a pet as a dog!

My neighbors would be really mad if I got a donkey...

If you OWN 4 acres you should be able to do with it and on it what you please within reason! Your neighbors would have no right to get mad over you getting a donkey. You should get a zebra if you want to! I would! Maybe they need to move to the concrete - "a subdivision".

If anyone in CO is looking for donks, I know 2 jennies that are looking for a new job. They were out with Angus. Llamas are used around here for livestock protectors as well.

For those that live in areas that restrict you many dogs you can have, there are sometimes provisions for working and service dogs. Work that angle.

Last edited:
I agree that I should be able to get whatever I want. Everyone around me has land too. There were a couple neighbors that were not happy when I got my flock. Once I got my flock, 3 more other neighbors got their own flocks too. Our ordinance limit of our flock is quite big too.

Once we fence in our property I can let the dogs run free. I can't let them free now, they will bite anyone that walks on our land and there's a leash law. We have to watch their every move outside. They do listen to us and will stop when told, otherwise we would have to leash them. Our dogs are very loyal to our family, just not to anyone else. We do take them out back in the woods and they pick up on the coyotes trail. The coyotes must run once they see or smell the dogs. These coyotes are coming up to the house. I've seen them by the run which is against our house. Our dogs are great protectors and they watched over the flock from inside the house. They alerted us every time a dog walked on our property. The coyotes are pretty sneaky.

I thought about getting goats once we get the chain link fence. We would need to build a shelter for them. I'd like to have a pair, so I can get milk, but I don't want babies. Right now I make all my own yogurt and I sometimes make my own cheese. Fresh milk would be awesome.

I can't believe the coyotes are still around. I heard them yesterday afternoon in the far backwoods. There must be a good food source for them to hang around for so long. Last year they were gone in about a week after I locked up my flock.

I agree that I should be able to get whatever I want. Everyone around me has land too. There were a couple neighbors that were not happy when I got my flock. Once I got my flock, 3 more other neighbors got their own flocks too. Our ordinance limit of our flock is quite big too.

Once we fence in our property I can let the dogs run free. I can't let them free now, they will bite anyone that walks on our land and there's a leash law. We have to watch their every move outside. They do listen to us and will stop when told, otherwise we would have to leash them. Our dogs are very loyal to our family, just not to anyone else. We do take them out back in the woods and they pick up on the coyotes trail. The coyotes must run once they see or smell the dogs. These coyotes are coming up to the house. I've seen them by the run which is against our house. Our dogs are great protectors and they watched over the flock from inside the house. They alerted us every time a dog walked on our property. The coyotes are pretty sneaky.

I thought about getting goats once we get the chain link fence. We would need to build a shelter for them. I'd like to have a pair, so I can get milk, but I don't want babies. Right now I make all my own yogurt and I sometimes make my own cheese. Fresh milk would be awesome.

I can't believe the coyotes are still around. I heard them yesterday afternoon in the far backwoods. There must be a good food source for them to hang around for so long. Last year they were gone in about a week after I locked up my flock.

It's odd to me that your coyotes leave. My pack seems to stay in the same general area, I think. I've got one dog that barks A LOT and another that barks if there is good reason. They seem to keep everything ran off just with the noise they make. You could tether one of your dogs right next to your coop with a light weight chain. That ought to keep the coyotes out of the yard.

Check out "hoop houses" that are made with cattle panels. You could make a good shelter for about $150. Some people make a hoop house chicken coop/run. It would also be perfect for goats.

Here is a youtube video showing all you need to make a hoop house. There is a series of videos showing you how to make it.

Minnesota weather is allot different than California's...but...my neighbor has about 15 / 20 goats in a pen roughly 50 x 50 chain link. She has a small shade shelter, a large tree, and two igloo dog houses in there for entertainment (they climb on). She feeds alfalfa and sometimes green waste (tree, grass, etc) collected from the neighborhood. One neighbor up the block (near the donks) doesn't do much in her back yard in terms of landscape so when it is weed season, the goats go over there for a few day stay...She also has goat milk and make goat cheese. She had one goat give birth to 4 kids...Cute little buggers and funny to watch...

She told me a couple of year ago, she bred one goat and it had to male kids..(she keeps her male away from the female). I guess they were 4 to 5 months old (or somewhere around that age) and the two of them went and bred the rest of her herd. (she didn't know they could breed at that young of a age)...She had 30 kids that year..LOL...

ok, I have one final comment on coyotes---maremma---it is a dog, a big dog--stands about 12 inches higher than my gsd. I had the pleasure of baby sitting one for a week. she was beautiful and sweet tempered and got along with my gsd. I have heard some great things about them--train them right and you wont have anything to worry about. if I were having as many problems as you all seem to be having--that's what I would get.

ok,  I have one final comment on coyotes---maremma---it is a dog,  a big dog--stands about 12 inches higher than my gsd.  I had the pleasure of baby sitting one for a week.  she was beautiful and sweet tempered and got along with my gsd.  I have heard some great things about them--train them right and you wont have anything to worry about.  if I were having as many problems as you all seem to be having--that's what I would get.

I totally agree IF you can afford one. I have two friend who use those dogs and they have zero predator problems of any kind. They say they are wonderful dogs. If I had my choice of lgd I would get one.

Back
Top Bottom