How would you get rid of coyotes?

Quote:
Have you ever had donkey's or lived by them? We have a neighbor at the end of our block that has a few of them (4 or 5). When they get to screaming it sounds like a mass murder is taking place ...LOL.. To be fair, we seldom here them and they don't get going all that often... but when they do..Wow!

Anymore my wife and I just start laughing..but when we first moved in it was What the hell???

Last edited:
Have you ever had donkey's or lived by them? We have a neighbor at the end of our block that has a few of them (4 or 5). When they get to screaming it sounds like a mass murder is taking place ...LOL.. To be fair, we seldom here them and they don't get going all that often... but when they do..Wow!

Anymore my wife and I just start laughing..but when we first moved in it was What the hell???

That is too funny! LOL Two things I LOVE to hear is a rooster crow and a donkey bray - better yet, bunches of them! LOL Never had a donkey but always wanted one just so I could listen to it. I just might have to get one one of these days.

for clarification, the catch & release that annoys me - is when city folk think it's cute to feed raccoons, or the invasive gray squirrel (non-native) -- then OMG the animal becomes a pest because it is habituated to people- comes in the house - terrorizes their pets & teaches their young to do the same. I've heard many otherwise well-intentioned people say - well just trap it & take it out 'to the country' -- well those are the animals I don't want either. (kind of goes hand in hand with people who dump cats 'out in the woods' so it can fend for itself. My first pet cat was such a dumped kitten that never would have made it except that we took it in after hearing it crying at our back door - no neighbors for miles. Understood that the wildlife folks releasing bear & etc deep into the major wild national parks is another story. Altho they will also say it is not often successful because habituated bears, for example, will seek out the humans they now associate with food. Common saying here - 'a fed bear is a dead bear' We religiously take in/lock up all food & garbage each evening. Bear have amazing noses - love sunflower seeds. People just don't understand. And then they freak out when they leave pet food out - but see a bear, or coyote in their neighborhood. I believe in live & let live - but some practices create an imbalance - as deer hunting is sometimes necessary to reduce deer populations prior to a harsh winter that may leave too many hungry -(because we've decimated their other predators, I might add) sometimes a coyote hunt is necessary to decrease their population when their natural occurring food has decreased & they've become dangerously habituated to us & ours. We'll never eliminate the coyote population - would not intend to as coyotes are a good at taking care of xs bunnies & rodents. Coyotes hunting in the daylight taking livestock 5 feet from a house, with people out & making noise - is a dangerous coyote that needs to be taken down. barb, self-appointed chair, Chicken Liberation Front, an organization dedicated to the rights of chickens to eat bugs without an undue fear of being eaten themselves
D.gif
ETA - & hopefully soon to be owner of a couple of big guardian dogs, & maybe a donkey or 2 - getting the yard secured prior to next spring when I hope to add a nice big flock of Buckeyes!! glad I'm learning the weak places in the yard with my hatchery chicks, altho I still hate losing any of them! unhappy!
I've seen so many pictures of friends on Facebook (all city folk) that feed the coons. Sometimes they get upwards of 20+ on their back deck at one time! All they talk about is how cute they are and all I can think is the huge mistake they're making. They don't stop to think that *maybe* the neighbors don't want raccoons around. Or that raccoons are extremely food aggressive and could hurt one of them, a kid, or kill one of their pets over it. Or when they run out of food or don't have enough for the more and more that keep coming, what are the coons going to do then? They certainly aren't just going to think "Welp, looks like we're not getting fed here anymore. We should just move on and forget about the whole thing." They're going to go through everyone's garbage looking for scraps. I can't stand when people feed the wildlife and can't deal with the consequences. :/ I only feed the deer to hunt them in the fall and so they have a source in the winter. I hunt a 600 acre plot with one other person and have had no problems with it ever.

That is too funny! LOL Two things I LOVE to hear is a rooster crow and a donkey bray - better yet, bunches of them! LOL Never had a donkey but always wanted one just so I could listen to it. I just might have to get one one of these days.

Well, I could see how they would make a good security option..I was about to run the first time I heard them go off...LOL...The donkey's at the end of the street can sure whip themselves into a frenzy...It is funny to listen too...

Quote:
well, no, haven't had donkeys before - but personally not too bothered by animal noise (incessantly barking dogs not so much) -& 'xcepting people LOL. Heard that donkeys hate coyotes - and will attack them on sight -so not so much for the alarm, but for an 'attack' donkey. Was thinking mini-donkeys - 'they' say the mini's will attack coyotes as well. They are likely just as loud tho!

If I have to put up with neighbors target shooting - they can put up with my roosters & whatever asst other farm animals I get.

Well, I could see how they would make a good security option..I was about to run the first time I heard them go off...LOL...The donkey's at the end of the street can sure whip themselves into a frenzy...It is funny to listen too...

Shoot yeah, all they would need to do is get going and they would scare the crap out of most animals and people. They are like a huge wind up noise maker. LOL I agree, every time I hear one it puts a smile on my face.

well, no, haven't had donkeys before - but personally not too bothered by animal noise (incessantly barking dogs not so much) -& 'xcepting people LOL.  Heard that donkeys hate coyotes - and will attack them on sight -so not so much for the alarm, but for an 'attack' donkey.  Was thinking mini-donkeys - 'they' say the mini's will attack coyotes as well.  They are likely just as loud tho!

If I have to put up with neighbors target shooting - they can put up with my roosters & whatever asst other farm animals I get.

Oh yeah, I imagine most of them will stomp a dog or a coyote's head in. I don't have neighbors close enough to bother me unless they let their dogs run loose and terrorize things at my place. That is usually the only problem I have with neighbors. I do have a neighbor that loves his guns but that's not a big deal as long as he doesn't point this way. Everybody out here has guns.

mini donkey wont win, my friends mini just got killed by coyotes so now they got a standard, it was heart breaking because the donkey was so sweet

mini will get killed by coyotes and dogs, just a matter of time, maybe at first they can hold it but when the coyotes or dogs get brave the mini will go down,

It was a ugly site to see the mini torn up like that

the standard donkey will stomp and kick their heads into the ground, specially in closed off fenced areas, it is VERY dangerous for coyotes or dogs to attack animals where a donkey is in closed off areas because the donkey will be able to corner and stomp them to death very easy.

Last edited:
mini donkey wont win, my friends mini just got killed by coyotes so now they got a standard, it was heart breaking because the donkey was so sweet

mini will get killed by coyotes and dogs, just a matter of time, maybe at first they can hold it but when the coyotes or dogs get brave the mini will go down,

It was a ugly site to see the mini torn up like that

the standard donkey will stomp and kick their heads into the ground, specially in closed off fenced areas, it is VERY dangerous for coyotes or dogs to attack animals where a donkey is in closed off areas because the donkey will be able to corner and stomp them to death very easy.

thanks! - I wondered if my info was correct. We had a pygmy goat & ram torn up next door some years ago - you're right it is not at all pretty. That was a half wolf, domestic 'female dog' -- teaching her litter to hunt. Don't you need to keep more than one for company for each other?

edited - guess we don't allow the word for female dog -

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom