How'd this happen? I do NOT like chickens. Oh, who can resist?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilBizzy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Shhh, dont tell Bird Hearder, but I might just see myself getting addicted.....
    A brief history: DD had 4 chickens when she was 15. I did NOT like chickens .They had no pen, nothing, and of course they disappeared 1 by 1.
    She decided to get more as babies, and we converted her childhood playhouse into a henhouse, and made a secure run . I did NOT like the chickens. I swear, every time I went outside, their beady lil eyes turned red and they'd run at me like I was food, and they hadn't eaten in a week. I also think they sharpened their beaks every time they saw me.
    Fast forward a few years later, and DH decided to get chicks, which lived in my living room till they feathered out. And I handled them every day, yet when they got bigger, I still decided I did NOT like chickens.
    Now fast forward to this year. DD brought DH 4 hens, 4 weeks old. I did NOT like chickens. For some reason though, I went out after work every day, and held the girls and talked to them and petted them. And they got bigger, and bigger, and weren't cute, but wait- maybe they ARE cute.
    Then he joined BYC, and I did also, and spend half my day at work looking at everyones chickie pictures. Darn cute little fuzzybutts.
    And DH brought home a dozen babies, and yes, they were cute, but I do NOT like chickens. Now the big girls are 12 weeks old, and I sit and watch them run around the yard, and they come running when I call them. And yes, they are cute.
    the past 2 days, I have been sitting outside with the 11 little ones ( 6 weeks old now) letting them roam the yard, holding them, petting them, and telling them how pretty they are, and hmm, I MIGHT have even given 1 a little kiss on the head. For several hours I sat with them laughing and oh, did I mention I might have been singing to them? And that one was smart enough to relize I sing crappily?
    If these 11 little ones turn out to be as sweet as the big girls.. when the baby pen gets emptied, I MIGHT just get " empty nest syndrome" It's not a bad thing, but Ive been reading and reading the forum for a month now, and laughed at y'all for being chicken nuts.... but I have a TOTAL understanding now. And Im slowly becoming one of you LOL

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] My husband could have written that....

Have you hear how cute DUCKS are?

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    It was only a matter of time! [​IMG]

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    LOL!!! No turning back now.... [​IMG]

6. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:NOOOOOOO!!!! LOL
    DH had a pair of ducks with his chickens way back when. One of the hens hatched out 3 chicks and 2 ducks. Those ducks followed me around like I was the mama. Ducks are soooo messy and I do NOT like ducks!!

Last weekend, when we traded roosters for hens, they had baby BO's, and these ADORABLE little baby ducks. again, if the little ones were no longer using the little pen.. I MIGHT not have resisted. And I truly hope DH doesnt read this, cause then he'll know he might be able to talk me into it...

Darn little fuzzybutts for being so cute, and everyone here for being so addicted and positive and making me fall into the trap...

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OH look how cute my Avatar is... I have 6 of those little cutie pies! YOU KNOW you want [email protected]!!!

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Yep baby ducks are cute! I have a goose setting on about 30 duck eggs! She stole them from the broody duck!!! Think I might try to candle tomorrow and see just how many are there!!! BTW, baby geese are also precious!!!! Chickens are cute too!!!

9. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

one of us! one of us, one of us!

10. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Nobody can use the term 'fuzzybutt' in a sentence and not like chickens. It's a scientifically proven fact!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by