Howdy from around Guy, Ar.

stevethack

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2015
Guy, Ar...out in the sticks!
Howdy from me...Steve.
frow.gif

I live around Guy, Ar. (yeah there's a little town named "Guy" ...there's a place called Toad Suck, Ar. too..
smile.png
)
I just got back into raising chik'ns. Mainly for eggs, but somehow did NOT smartly pass up 6 of those fat-hog Cornish X's at TSC when I was getting some pine shavings for the original 5 Barred Rocks and 5 Cinnamon Queens in the brooder box. And did not pass up acquiring 3 Black Australorps when I went for another 25 pd sack of chick starter 6 days later at a different feed/hardware store..
After getting the original 10 I got busy building a coop big enuff for 7-8 layers which with the normal 90% sexing accuracy would have left me with 9 hens and one freezer bait and a couple just croaking would leave me with the intended number as planned... but as often stated...the best laid plans of mice and men. All have lived!..19 of them in the coop now. :) but 6 will have a freezer campout session in 3-4 more weeks. Sooooo... it's not been crowded inside the coop..about 3/4 of them stay under the upper part all day/nite without any heat...at not quite 5 weeks old. Their choice!
Coop is all fenced around with 14 gauge 1 1/2"x3" chicken wire...and chicken mesh on the sides too. Bottom as well--they manage!. And there's a strand of hot electric just outside that's deterring the local coons and cats (mine included but she's quite well broke now of wanting to sniff the fowl..) and possums and foxes...stray dogs. Starting to fence in a 50'x50' or so area with a 4' tall fence and electric outside that.
Anyway...haven't raised chik'ns in over 30 years now... it's about time I guess.. lol

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I was born not too far from you in Hot Springs, AR, and I still love that area of the country. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom