Hubbard Gold Comet or Meyers Golden Buffs?

Hepcat

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
When it comes to the sex-link production "reds", do any of you have a preference? My feed store works with Mt. Healthy, so if they have these, they will be Hubbards. Honestly, though, the one time I called them, the feed store employee was VERY rude. Also, when I was there last summer, the help was unfriendly and not very "helpful". So I am leaning toward buying direct from meyers.

I am looking for cold hardy birds with a calm, friendly temperament. Just wanting a few for pets/fresh eggs. Any opinions on these lines? Any preferences? Or are most red sex links the same? Do some lines seem healthier or calmer?

I appreciate any opinions you can share.
smile.png

Not sure how much I can help you but here goes.
I have black sex links from Meyer and absolutely love them! They are friendly, large gorgeous dark brown eggs every day and are rotten pets that follow my DH around. They get along with most of the others in their flock but like to be near the top as far as boss.

I have some red sex links and brown sex links that are are only 6 weeks old right now but got them from Ideal. They are sweet so far and very personable. If they measure up to my blacks then I will be very happy.
Not all sex links are created equal so I am not sure that you can get a definite answer on personalities or temperament but laying should be consistent since that is what they are bred for. I just wanted more color in the flocks along with nice egg production.

Thanks, Nadine. I'm just assuming its like anything else....some "lines" may be different than others. There was a poster on this site who put up some nice pictures of her Meyers buffs, they were attractive birds, and she was very pleased with their calm, quiet temperament. The meyers site has a lot of folks raving about their buffs in the review section.

I'm glad to hear you also like their black sex-links....maybe I could get some balcks and buffs for variety and color. Thanks again for posting!

Just as a future reference not sure if you know this or not, but on www.petchicken.com they have a section of different breeds and it tells which one are good in cold weather and which ones are not. I thought I would let you know. Good Luck !

Thanks! I have actually used that! Kind of like computer dating, only its matching me with chickens!
big_smile.png

I just thought I might get some first hand opinions from some folks who have tried sex links from different hatcheries....I'm sure they are pretty similar, its just nice to hear from people who have had the birds.

I was on a website once where a poster was discussing how aggressive his black sex-links were; I have heard otherwise, but just wanted to hear from some folks who had tried birds from these hatcheries.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for your reply; I am kind of limited to places that do small orders...I live in the suburbs, and don't have much room.

I checked out the birds on your website...very pretty. I envy those of you who live in rural areas, I am always amazed at how much room you all have.

Back
Top Bottom