Hubby brought home a surprise last night *edited for puppy pics*

hmm.png
A bird hunting dog to guard your birds????
hu.gif
Is there any chance he does not like the chickens??? LOL He is a cutie
smile.png

He is a real cutie! Be ready with the leather gloves - those teeth will do some damage until he loses them. When Jac, our springer spaniel, was a pup I had to wear jeans and gloves!! We hope to get a little grump pup this summer - I can't wait and I think Jac will make a great friend. The old dog may not be so pleased but she will not have to play this time!!
Have fun.
thumbsup.gif

Be careful with that Lab and your chicks. Our choc, female lab, age 6yrs, literally tore the door off of our chicken house last Easter and killed about 16 hens. She didnt eat them, she just conducted her own circus. Needless to say, she is now housed in a pen with an electric wire around the top.

Quote:
People forget a dogs natural inclinations, in the rush to proclaim them cute, fuzzy and "Mans Best Friend." There are also those who happily announce how good their dogs are and have never done anything to chickens. I'm guilty of both... and I've lost two flocks to them.

My lesson: Dont turn your back on the dog.

Now, I'll get my coat.....

Last edited:
the bird hunting thing was a joke, fyi lol and he's actually been doing pretty well with the chicks, I've been trying to work with the puppy and the chickens and he seems to understand that they're not food. lol
And the last time we did any squirrel hunting was waaaaay before we got this lil guy. I'm being very careful with him and the chicks, especially since he's teething right now, BUT he has a lot of stuff (other than a chick that he's been taught is bad) to chew on. if that made sense, I'm tired as hell right now lol, but thanks for your concern..he's only 7wks old and I'm working with him every day and the chicks are in the spare room in their brooder and the door is kept closed.

Hey, labs can be excellent bird protectors if trained properly. My friend's helps her herd them back to their run. But like you have been warned before- just don't leave your dog alone with the birds
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom