Hubby complaining about dust...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MontanaDolphin, Mar 17, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    My babies turned 2 weeks old last Wednesday, and I've had them since they were a day old. The only place in my house that I can put them is in the den. So that's where the brooder is. Today, my hubby was dusting off the entertainment center, and said "The chicks have got to go...there's way too much dust in this house." Now, he wasn't being too serious because he knows I wouldn't oblige him, but he is mad about all the dust they produce. Is there anything I can do to keep the dust down? I have a window screen covering the brooder. Their bedding is pine shavings, and they have some sand in a box that I cut the top 3/4 off. Thank you!

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I am really allergic to pine bedding, so I just keep my chicks on paper towels and don't seem to have a major dust problem.

3. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Using sand as the main bedding might cut down some on dust. I have also read that some people use puppy pads as a bedding because they are absorbent and odor-reducing. Good luck!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sand doesn't help with the dust. Ours are on the porch now that it has warmed up. Inside on sand, they were dusty.

5. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    pine shavings are a BIG nono, they can cause large problems as the chicks grow

6. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    The bedding won't much matter. The chicks themselves are producing tons of the stuff. Unless you cover them completely...the dust is going to go everywhere.

7. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    bedding does matter, trust me, I can't remember where, but I read that pine shavings are very bad for chicks

8. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Very well....the bedding matters then.

But what I'm trying to say is...if you took out all the shavings..ANY shavings, and put your chicks on your lint free towels...your going to get a lot of dust.

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Chicks generate lots and lots of dust. It's one of the reasons I don't brood in the house. I think the dust comes from the sheaths as they fall away from their sprouting feathers. So, consider it a sign that they are healthy and growing. And next time, try brooding outside. :)

10. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Mine started in the bathroom on the counter...until one jumped out into my Scentsy wax warmer! Her name is now Scentsy and luckily it didn't seem to hurt her and her vent wasn't blocked. (We were going to put them in a new brooder that night...figures! [​IMG]) Then we moved them into a tall box for a few days until I could set up a brooder in the garage. BEST.PLACE.HANDS.DOWN. Well, at least for us. The smell wasn't bad in the bathroom but the larger and more messy they got it was starting to get to me. We still had to use a heat lamp since the garage isn't heated but it was perfect for going in and checking on them, knowing they were safe from predators (and our 3 dogs). We are getting another order Friday and I think I will skip the bathroom and go straight for the garage. (unless we have some tiny guys that need some extra love and care for a few days). Hopefully you can come up with a different place to put them! :) We used pine shavings (everything I've read has said not to use cedar) but I do love the puppy pad idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by