Hubby says Im going OVERBOARD

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCord6, Sep 13, 2009.

1. I am barely there to hatching my first set of eggs in the incubator and I looked on Freecycle and found an add giving away some chicks. I emailed the lady INSTANTLY to see if they are still available. Hubby got [​IMG] [​IMG] and said Im going way way over my head. He even [​IMG] me on the back of the head when he read over my shoulders on what I was doing. Is he right? Am I going CHICKEN CRAZY?! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:He [​IMG] you on the back of the head??! Thats going overboard-get the chicks and leave him there! you are fine!

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    LOL!
    My husband's been saying that for (seems like) ever. Just tell him that you are enjoying it so much that you wanted to get him his very own chickens so that he could have some to enjoy, too!
    (My husband's a sucker for silkies & polish! Whooda thunk?)

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG] I hope he was only half-serious (and completely gentle) about the [​IMG] !

I think it all depends on your relationship... my dh gets nervous when I start suddenly adding more pens & brooders & what-not. I have to take it slow. He's nice about it--mostly--but he's just really not into the farm thing, so it's hard for him. But we have a basic, good level of respect between us so we consider each others' feelings about things before we pitch in.

I think it could be a valid concern on your husband's part... but then, I don't think he's right to be angry about it. If he's concerned, he could bring it to your attention in a nice way. But again, I think it all depends on your relationship.

Another thought--respect for each other goes both ways. My husband is very considerate about the animals, but out of respect for his concerns, I take it slow. He respects me by letting me have my "little" hobby, and I respect him by not overwhelming him all at once.

Good luck one way or another. [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't agree with him [​IMG], but I will say it can be easy to go overboard when there's cute little chicks.....maybe he's thinking ahead to when they've outgrown the brooder boxes....do you have enough space for them once they aren't cute and little anymore? Nothing makes it not fun anymore more than when it becomes a struggle to take care of them.

6. We are doing the coop this coming weekend. Alot of hubby's family, Uncles and cousins and brothers, are coming over to move the coop from my landlady's house to mine. All we need to do is add the run and that's it. Everything is basically already set, just that I don't have any chickens to put in the coop yet [​IMG] they are all still in eggs.

It was a gentle smack, lol, more of a placeful half serious one. Wasn't really mad, just getting a lil annoyed with me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He'll get used to it. [​IMG]

I keep reminding my DH, "getting chickens was YOUR idea." He can't really argue there. He got mad that I got a bator. He said I'm using artificial means to hatch chicks and asked why I couldn't let the hen do the work. I said I don't have a hen that will go broody? His response, then why didn't you get a hen that will go broody. Ugh, cuz I don't wanna wait THAT LONG. Looks like a blue cochin is in my future. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Be careful about bringing random birds into your sweet new flock. You may end up with more troubles than joy.

9. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I'm going through the same thing right now...I just now turned and asked my SO if he thought I was going chicken crazy and he said "Not yet...when you start asking me to build you ANOTHER coop...that's when I'll think you're going overboard...". Darn...guess I'll have to give him some time before asking for that second coop....or...I think I can do extensions to our coop on my own without his knowledge...hmmmmm.... LOL

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    My hubby thought I was going over board hatching...then he made me a cabinet style incubator and wanted to fill it up! LOL We have 80+ eggs left to hatch. Now, who's gone overboard?! Chickens are addictive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by