Huddling but not on the roosting poles

OK, some chickens just like to be all together in a pile... I think silkies are one breed that likes it. Some bantams as well. Can you go in the coop after dark and physically place them up on the roost(s)? That's about the only real way I know to help train them where to go at night. It may take a week or two to get them to finally comply. Some simply may never... :confused:

Ohj, and you need to make sure they can physically get up there by themselves... Don't know how high the roosts are from "ground" level. You may need to place an intermediate level "step" or ramp for them to use, especially if they aren't good flyers.

I Have 19 2 1/2 month old chicks in a coop. They aren't using the roosting poles at night, but sleeping in a big giant pile. How can I get them to use the poles?
Thanks, all!!
They generally start when they are ready. How high are your roosts? How's the ventilation? Pictures may help. Sometimes a batch takes a while to get a hang of roosting, and others get up there pretty young.

There's really good ventilation and the poles are boards kind of a ladder style of various thickness so they can choose.
WP_20180713_21_53_52_Rich.jpg

They had baby roosting poles in the brooder and really loved them. They'd all be up there in a big row - it was so cute!! When I go in there at night they go hysterical. I tried to set few up there tonight but I broke up the clump and they were very upset. That's why I posted, because I'm at a loss. My previous flock refused to sleep on the fabulous roosting poles I built for them and slept in a pile in the corner. Is it ME??!!??

Typical chickens, being prey/dinner items for many, typically prefer to roost as high as they can go. But they don't really "perch" like a bird, but rather stand rather flat footed with toes curled down and fwd so they can rest on their keel bone and cover their feet with feathers. The roosts that you show above seem somewhat narrow and may be uncomfortable for their feet. You may have better luck with a more substantial roost such as a 2x4 with the wide side on the flat.

Back
Top Bottom