Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Coupe, Feb 20, 2013.

1. LSzajko

LSzajko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    New Windsor, NY
    Quote:So sorry again, Lexi. It's a persistent pair of foxes indeed. Do you have a trap? A gun? Are they digging their way in? Reaching through the fencing? Climbing in?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. charlie14

charlie14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Kerhonkson NY
    Coupe, you may have a weasel too. They are famous for tearing off heads and pulling through fences. I'm so sorry you are going through this. You may need to think outside the box to fix this.

3. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I have a small trap, but I dont think ill trap a fox in it, altho I do have it set up just incase! No gun yet but might be borrowing my dads 22. They have been trying to dig their way in but with no luck..they are running around the fence scaring the chickens..the chickens stick their little heads out and get pulled threw the wire...the adult hamburgs wont fit threw the wire, only the young ones.

4. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I know weasels and raccoons rip heads off aswell..if I didnt see the fox twice I would have thought it was a coon doing it..I moved whats left if the hamburgs last night and I caught the foxes still trying to get into the pen with nothing in it This morning..im trying to find somone who will come trap them for free.

5. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Is it hardware cloth or chicken wire? You might want to run out and grab some hardware cloth. I know my entire coop is wrapped in the stuff. expensive but so is replacing chickens [​IMG]

6. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I have my pit on a wireless fence system. The opossums only get chickens that go outside his perimeter. It has cut down on my losses by at least 90%.

You guys have to remember that you also have fishers up there. They are notorious for killing everything they can reach. They'll reach through kennel caging and pull ears off of dogs if they can.

7. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I use welded wire on the main pen with welded wire underneath and 1 foot out on all sides. Im pretty sure im going to put the same wire around the hamburg pen over lapping the chainlink fencing.
    For now everyone is in the grow out pen until I get the other pen secured. I dont want to kill the fox. But if they keep coming back every morning ill have to trap or shoot them. But much rather have the pens secured, so it dosnt come down to that.

8. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I have feeling ill be getting up every morning now at 5:45 :(...it was back again this morning.

9. LSzajko

LSzajko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    New Windsor, NY
    Tell that fox to GTFO of Highland ! [​IMG]

10. charlie14

charlie14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Kerhonkson NY
    Once they find a "food source" they never forget. You may have to take some drastic measures. Thank you for posting about it though, I never have really taken my husband too seriously about predators but you have woken me up! Now I always have our bird dog out with the chickens (she is a great little shepard), and I inspect the inside of the coupe to make sure nothing is hiding in there when I bring in the chickens at evening. We had a bear in our orchard Friday but the dog chased him away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by