Huge abscess with scab

Attachments

• 4CC90FD0-E3E8-4140-9E5F-6E8962FB26EF.jpeg
    4CC90FD0-E3E8-4140-9E5F-6E8962FB26EF.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 5
With my husbands help this evening, we put hot compresses on what we thought was an abscess and used a scalpel to remove the scab which would not come off with just hot compress and antibacterial soap. We also made a small incision across the top to allow us access to the inside. There was bleeding and although we pushed on the mass nothing seem to dislodge or look like it could be pulled out with twizers. The skin is really tough and lumpy and almost feels like muscle. The flap that was exposed on the inside of the mass that was cut has a marbling look to it. It was too hard to get photos with all four of our hands busy, but the end result we packed it full of antibiotic and unfortunately were not able to get any puss or cyst to dislodge.

You're probably dealing with a tumor. I had a hen with a tumor that looked like that. It caused her a lot of pain. I tried treating it as an infected wound, including an oral antibiotic. I euthanized her when it was obvious it wasn't going to heal.

You're probably dealing with a tumor. I had a hen with a tumor that looked like that. It caused her a lot of pain. I tried treating it as an infected wound, including an oral antibiotic. I euthanized her when it was obvious it wasn't going to heal.
Thank you, that’s unfortunately what we’re thinking. I just feel terrible, he didn’t act like he was in any pain until we tried to help him tonight. He’s still super active, vocal, a great eater, and loves his 2 girlfriends. We’re going to see how he does healing up in quarantine over the next few days and then decide what to do.

Thank you again for all your time and help today. I’ve never had something like this happen with any of my birds and your insight and guidance is SO greatly appreciated.

Earlier, I had posted that it might be a squamous cell carcinoma, but in the last photo, it looks more like a melanoma skin cancer. Here is a link to look at picture 4 of a melonoma:
1670552919196.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom