1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Huge Egg?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by photographybycasea, Sep 7, 2011.

1. photographybycasea

photographybycasea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Hey guys!!
    I finally started getting eggs about three weeks ago. Ive gotten almost a dozen already!
    I looked in the house this morning and saw these two eggs. One was HUGE! Is this normal?

Also, how long can the eggs sit out before i grab them and put them in the fridge?

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Awesome! Yes, you will see some really huge ones like that from time to time......

3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Double Yolker!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

4. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Haha maybe even triple from the looks of that thing

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Good Lord! That thing is HUGE! For sure a double.

About your other question, it depends on the heat you are having. I collect twice a day but I work from home. As long as you get them daily in the heat you will be fine. Longer in cooler weather. You are aware that you don't need to refrigerate them correct?

6. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    I feel sorry for the hen that had to lay that monster.

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    All I can think is ... OWIE!!! Someone deserves extra treats tonight. [​IMG]

PS: Show pics when you break it open! Inquiring minds want to know! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. photographybycasea

photographybycasea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I know right! I was SO surprised when i went to feed and collect eggs this morning.. i was like OH MY GOSH!!! She will deffinatly be getting some extra treats..she deserves it..ughh thats like a human having a 12 lb baby..man i feel so sorry for her lol!

Whhhaaattt? You dont have to put them in the fridge? Can they just stay at room temp?

I'm kind of wondering about how many yolks that are in there as well, i may have to have breakfast for dinner tonight hehe [​IMG]
    If i do, i will take a picture [​IMG]

9. farmgirlz

farmgirlz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    [​IMG] WOW!!!!!

10. farmgirlz

farmgirlz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Quote:For real? They won't go bad? I mean, sometimes they sit on my counter for a day or two until I get around to washing them, but you don't need to refrigerate them at all? How long will the keep? Cause sometimes I just don't have room in my fridge for all the eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by