HUGE Eggs

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
twice in the last few weeks one of my Cali Greys has laid a HUGE egg. 84 and 89 grams. Here are a few pics... The 84 was a double yolk. I have not cracked the 89g one open yet. Im sure it will be as well.

first pic is the 84g along side 67g and 54g
84 67 54.jpg

84.jpg
89 .jpg

this is the 89g next to 55g
89 g compare.jpg

New layer? Supplement lighting? Fresh out of a molt?
There are many reasons why this could happen. As long as she is happy & healthy I wouldnt worry. enjoy your double bounty. 👍
oh not worried. Actually bragging,LOL.

She is new as in was born spring 2020. has been laying since June. Hasn't molted yet. both of my Cali Whites, ( I accidentally said grey earlier they are cali whites)

I had cali whites before. They started laying very early and laid 6 of 7 days a week. Mine were skiddish and stand offish...but they laid good so i left them alone! Lol
I will say, of my hens & i heard lots of others hens, are putting out an abnormal amount of double yolkers this fall. Craziness

I had cali whites before. They started laying very early and laid 6 of 7 days a week. Mine were skiddish and stand offish...but they laid good so i left them alone! Lol
I will say, of my hens & i heard lots of others hens, are putting out an abnormal amount of double yolkers this fall. Craziness

I had a few leghorns in the past, but these are my first 2 Cali Whites.. I've had chickens on and off all my life. This group have laid more double yolks than I've ever seen. I have 6 birds. 3 different breeds. Cali Whites, Barred Rock and black sex links. wild.

I meant to add this yesterday. My CW girls are really friendly, but I think its bc I got them right as everything locked down in March and I was off work for 2 months. I spent so much time wiht them, they still follow me everywhere like Im mom. HAHA

My leghorns I Had a few years ago were handled a little bit as chicks, but not nearly as much as these girls and were much more standoffish than any of my other breeds.

One of my rescued ex-battery hens (Lohman brown) is laying these huge eggs as well - I measured one and it was 84 g! Pretty incredible, especially considering her background! She the alpha female and leader of the flock of 6 ex-battery hens. :)

Back
Top Bottom