HUGE mosquito Prob in Chick coop, Need help!!

I keep a fan blowing in my coop because it's so hot. I haven't had any mosquitos in there yet.
fl.gif

The mosquitos are terrible this year, I agree! There are two things that are absolutely guaranteed to attract mosquitos: water is the obvious one, but carbon dioxide is even better. Together, they are signs to a mosuito that there is a living, breathing source of food nearby. I know that this idea might not be practical, but one thing you could do is to buy some dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) and place it away from the coop. It will slowly 'evaporate' overnight) and draw the mosquitos away from the coop. Those propane mosquito attractors work similarly...burning propane gives off carbon dioxide, which attracts the mosquitos.

Just be careful to wear gloves if you do this. Dry ice will give you instant frostbite if touched with bare fingers! Since I've yet to see gloves for chickens, keeping them away from the dry ice is a wise idea, too.

If there is standing water that cannot be removed (pond, dog bowl), you can use Mosquito Dunks to prevent mosquito larvae from maturing into adults. Safe for mammals, birds and fish.

After loosing nearly my entire flock in a few hours of one day to buffalo gnats [aka blackflies], I replaced the burned out bug zapper hung last year to kill mosquitoes, and added another. The older one is evidently made better, the one gifted to me has lasted many years, but the new ones are guaranteed for a year and Lowes has replaced 3 [would have been 4 had I kept the receipt
he.gif
] that overloaded and burned out within a few days of purchase. I make sure they're hung under a roof to prevent rain from wetting the dead bugs and causing it to burn out from constantly zapping. The chickens come a runnin' for high protein snacks when they see me cleaning one.

Clean one.
44349_bug_zapper_003.jpg

Before cleaning out the dead mosquitoes in the morning. In most areas, mosquitoes are not enough of a problem to require daily or more cleanings, they just fall out the bottom.
44349_bug_zapper_001.jpg

44349_bug_zapper_002.jpg

ETA: A high velocity fan was the only solution for the two week long buffalo gnat plague................ there were just too many to possablly control, but the fan blew the swarms back and the few remaining survivors instantly learned to stay in its safe zone untill dark; unlike mosquitoes, the buffalo gnats avoided flying in the dark.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom