Help!! Mosquitoes in Coop (Texas)

dianaeliz

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2023
Hi I’m needing some advice for our chicken coop. We live in Wallisville, TX and mosquitoes are horrible. What is everyone doing to keep mosquitoes out the coop? I have one hen with fowl pox now and has spread it to her chicks.

Attachments

• 71691342548__46FC7283-2557-4A88-AB65-59629ADAA28A.jpeg
    71691342548__46FC7283-2557-4A88-AB65-59629ADAA28A.jpeg
    716.8 KB · Views: 51
Maybe try some mosquito traps and see how that works?
I'm in TX as well, but I don't deal with many mosquitoes.
Once a chicken gets fowl pox, they should then be immune to it.

I’ve used peppermint oil and it seems to work. I started using it to keep mice from attacking the wiring around my barn (tractor, mower, exposed wiring) and it worked. So I sprayed it around the coop and run and it has made a noticeable difference. Then my wife read that vanilla has the same effect on repelling mosquitos. So we tried it by just dabbing some on our exposed skin and believe it ir not, it worked.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/this-trick-will-get-rid-of-most-insects-around-your-home/

Hi I’m needing some advice for our chicken coop. We live in Wallisville, TX and mosquitoes are horrible. What is everyone doing to keep mosquitoes out the coop? I have one hen with fowl pox now and has spread it to her chicks.
Is the hen pictures the hen you say has fowl pox?

Maybe try some mosquito traps and see how that works?
I'm in TX as well, but I don't deal with many mosquitoes.
Once a chicken gets fowl pox, they should then be immune to it.
I am in Houston. We get mosquitos but I have never had fowl pox in my flock.

I’ve used peppermint oil and it seems to work. I started using it to keep mice from attacking the wiring around my barn (tractor, mower, exposed wiring) and it worked. So I sprayed it around the coop and run and it has made a noticeable difference. Then my wife read that vanilla has the same effect on repelling mosquitos. So we tried it by just dabbing some on our exposed skin and believe it ir not, it worked.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/this-trick-will-get-rid-of-most-insects-around-your-home/
Thank you! I’ll try that

Back
Top Bottom