Huge Owl

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
It's getting dark earlier. I got home later than I expected last night and the sun had just gone down.

There was just enough twilight to see an enormous owl, perched on top of a telephone pole, carefully studying my ducks.

It looks like I need to be a lot more certain I will be home before sundown, or else I need to leave the ducks shut into their night pen when I leave home.

The owl flew away when I walked out to the orchard, but he'll get hungrier as it gets colder and the snow starts to fly. He's located the ducks now, so he'll be coming back.

My best guess is that he is a half grown Great Horned Owl. He had the tufts on his head, but wasn't nearly big enough to be an adult. My ducks are too big for him right now, but he'll grow and he'll be a lot hungrier in a month or so.

He's a magnificent creature. If he wants to hang out here and work on the mice and cottontails, he's welcome. I just will have to be diligent about protecting the ducks from him.

oh, yeah.. we too have owls around here but i don't see them often.. fortunately, my ducks all lead themselves into protected areas at dusk now.. It's hard adjusting to the onset of such quick darkness.

Last edited:
We have had an unseen Owl we call schwartzanowl since we moved in, he now has a girlfriend calling at night with him. Wish they would pick off the coons. That would so great.

Back
Top Bottom