Huge Snake problems

Pics

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I've got 4 week old chicks, and 6 week old jumbo coturnix quail (the coturnix are separated in an elevated cage covered with 1/4 " snake wire, which is not working) this past week I've pulled 5 different 6-8 ft Rat snakes out of my coop. They're decimating my eggs, they've gotten 5 of my chicks, today I pulled one out after it ate 2 of my jumbo coturnix, and found another one with it. As I was grabbing it the snake was going after another of my chicks. Luckily I got the snake before it got my chicks. I don't have a rodent problem, I stay on top of it with regularly baited traps. They're only there for the chicks and quail. I am beyond frustrated, and this many large snakes in such a short period of time tells me I have a huge issue. Not even my rooster or guineas are keeping them out. How can I keep them out of my hen house, and away from my chicks, and quail? Does anyone know of what I could use as a repellent? Is there a certain type of chicken that will go after snakes?

Thank you all for replying. 😁 Keep the ideas coming. Unfortunately pigs, and peacocks aren't an option for me either. I'm a little worried about the cost of covering my entire coop in snake wire. But I'll definitely be looking into the snake deterrent products. Does anyone know if there are any plants that repel snakes?

Thank you all for replying. 😁 Keep the ideas coming. Unfortunately pigs, and peacocks aren't an option for me either. I'm a little worried about the cost of covering my entire coop in snake wire. But I'll definitely be looking into the snake deterrent products. Does anyone know if there are any plants that repel snakes?

Back
Top Bottom