Huge Snake problems

@ aart, The cage is about 4' off the ground What I can think of is maybe they went through the doors, or perhaps the small holes at the top. I've sealed the holes at the top, and am planning on enlarging the doors to provide an overlap to the cage. I cut the bushes and branches within four foot of the coop in case they came in through the coop roof. If they came in through the hogwire I can't understand why they wouldn't go after the smaller chicks first.

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_142155481.jpg
    IMG_20200601_142155481.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200601_142103696.jpg
    IMG_20200601_142103696.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20200601_142125812.jpg
    IMG_20200601_142125812.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 51
Oue time honored method is sulphur, available by the pound and cheap at the feed store. We line the fence and coop/nesting area liberally with it. Must be reapplied in the open after heavy rains of course but for the price point, it's always been our best option, and very effective.

I've got 4 week old chicks, and 6 week old jumbo coturnix quail (the coturnix are separated in an elevated cage covered with 1/4 " snake wire, which is not working) this past week I've pulled 5 different 6-8 ft Rat snakes out of my coop. They're decimating my eggs, they've gotten 5 of my chicks, today I pulled one out after it ate 2 of my jumbo coturnix, and found another one with it. As I was grabbing it the snake was going after another of my chicks. Luckily I got the snake before it got my chicks. I don't have a rodent problem, I stay on top of it with regularly baited traps. They're only there for the chicks and quail. I am beyond frustrated, and this many large snakes in such a short period of time tells me I have a huge issue. Not even my rooster or guineas are keeping them out. How can I keep them out of my hen house, and away from my chicks, and quail? Does anyone know of what I could use as a repellent? Is there a certain type of chicken that will go after snakes?

I snake proofed my coup by covering the cage wire with wildlife netting. If snakes try to penetrate it they get caught in it and can't back out and I can kill them. I also poured a concrete apron around the coup to stop snakes from slithering under, and prevent varmint from digging in.

Thank you all for replying. 😁 Keep the ideas coming. Unfortunately pigs, and peacocks aren't an option for me either. I'm a little worried about the cost of covering my entire coop in snake wire. But I'll definitely be looking into the snake deterrent products. Does anyone know if there are any plants that repel snakes?
Snake wire, FIRMLY attached, is the best solution. There is a product called Snake Away that can be effective. It is nothing more than granularized moth balls. Take moth balls and break them up a bit and sprinkle around the perimeter of your coop and run. Understand that moth balls will naturally "dissolve" by out-gassing (that is what provides protection) and melt with rain, so the moth ball pieces need not be too small. Or you can use straight moth balls without breaking them up. It also has the benefit of discouraging other predators due to the odor.

I've got 4 week old chicks, and 6 week old jumbo coturnix quail (the coturnix are separated in an elevated cage covered with 1/4 " snake wire, which is not working) this past week I've pulled 5 different 6-8 ft Rat snakes out of my coop. They're decimating my eggs, they've gotten 5 of my chicks, today I pulled one out after it ate 2 of my jumbo coturnix, and found another one with it. As I was grabbing it the snake was going after another of my chicks. Luckily I got the snake before it got my chicks. I don't have a rodent problem, I stay on top of it with regularly baited traps. They're only there for the chicks and quail. I am beyond frustrated, and this many large snakes in such a short period of time tells me I have a huge issue. Not even my rooster or guineas are keeping them out. How can I keep them out of my hen house, and away from my chicks, and quail? Does anyone know of what I could use as a repellent? Is there a certain type of chicken that will go after snakes?
I put 1/2" mesh plastic netting over my fruit trees and bushes to keep birds out until harvest. I remove the netting at harvest and place loosely on the ground around areas I want to keep snakes out of. Their scales get hung up and the netting twists around their body trapping them. I've caught dozens this way.

I understand how you feel. Ive had chickens on n off all my life. I am now 74 yrs. old. This has been REAL TRAUMA for me in a couple instances. Fool proofing never seemed to stop the snakes nor the snake stopper. What did work was removal into a pillow case and a 1 mile trip down the road for release. Some of these were 5 feet long black snakes. I thought they were supposed to be the farmer’s friend !? I’d catch as many as 10 a day. I came to realize that these were parent snakes with offspring. As fast I collected one and got back out to the coop, there would be another one in the nest- curled up under a laying hen ! I stayed the coarse and ultimately the numbers abated to zero.
I caught them by using those parrot beaked pruning long handled pruning shears. Be careful when extricating not to cut their head off.
Good luck and stay well.
Martha
ps. We haven’t seen a snake in 5 years now 😊

Quit killing ALL the rats and mice. You have taken away their meals and they are POed. Live and let the snakes take care of the mice and rats. I have no problems with mice or rats. In % years I've had one snake and i just removed it and have had no problems. The one i had was a King snake. I just moved him away from the coop and he went his own way.

Back
Top Bottom