Huge Sore Rotting

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
So last night I was carrying my chicken back to her coop and I noticed she had a kinda fowl oder on her. I set her down and took a look over and when I lifted her left wing I discoverd this huge sore. MUCH MUCH bigger than a silver dollar. Some of it had hardened over but some of it was still pretty fresh. When I gave the skin around it a little pull it speperated from the rest of her (not like peel off, but like I could look down in it and see whats under the skin). I dont know what caused this and I dont know if the wound started at this size if its growing. The wound put me in mind of gangrene.
I looked over my other hen and rooster but nothing on them.
I didnt put her back in the coop with them last night in case of...whatever could happen
Maybe I should mention that with all the rain Ga has been having my yard gets this 10 foot wide river in it which of corse runs right into my chicken coop flooding it a good 6 inches for a few days (I didnt know my yard flooded like this when I put the coop up or I would have not put it there)
What should I do??

That is probably from the rooster's spurs. I've just dealt with a wound like that myself, though it was not rotting. You're going to have to do an unpleasant job of removed dead flesh, flushing the wound with betadine and putting antibiotic cream/ointment on it. She must be separated from the others. It's a common wound for hens with roosters, unfortunately. Since it's to that stage, you need to give her a 3-4 day course of penicillin injections.

Well thats an idea but my rooster is a 1.5 year old jersey giant and his spurs are still kinda nubs. I just rechecked the wound today and it looks alot more dried up. Scabbing over. I think shes going to be fine. She was clucking loudly away with my other hen yesterday morning and is still walking and running good.
I am keeping her out of the coop still.

The rooster's claws can also rip her skin if he gets her just right. The good news is that if infection doesnt set in or you can eradicate it, they heal up better from this stuff than you would imagine.

My roo got attacked by a dog and he has a huge sore in his wing pit. It stinks like I have never smelled before, and looks similar to what you describe. Mine's wound is scabbed over, but not attached to the skin around the scab, which I think is weird, and it smells just awful. He's also gotten infested with mites since then, so he's in pretty bad shape. But, he seems just dandy, and other than the muscle damaged from the attack, he's happy as, well, a rooster. I've been treating his wing pit wound with Vanodine, just spraying it on (in..) the wound and then holding his wing away from his body for a few minutes twice a day to try and let some air get to it to kill any possible infections. I sprinkled some sevindust on him yesterday to help with the mites. He seems to be doing much better, all his other wounds from the attack have healed and all that's left is flaky skin where the wounds were. And now, he's back to crowing again at all hours of the day. Silly man.

Back
Top Bottom