Huge wound !!

farhan1997

Chirping
Sep 21, 2017
Two days ago I bought 2 new chickens and today I noticed a huge wound on bottom of my hen. Also there are no feathers in that portion.What could have caused it ? What should I do ?
20180403_185826.jpg

She is a large girl of mixed breed.
The wound is around 1.5 inch x 1 inch.

That looks like it is below her vent, and the scab is not blocking her vent, right? Looks like a pecking injury. You might want to watch closely to see who might be doing the pecking, and isolate the culprit. Also, it looks to be healing, so best thing might be to make sure it stays clean and uninfected. You could apply some triple antibiotic to the wound. If it begins to drain pus, or swell a lot it is a sign of infection. I've seen worse, but I'm sure she's not a happy camper.

The vent is much higher than the wound. I bought her from someone who had other chickens. And she has the wound from before i bought her. Right now she is isolated. Will her feathers grow back ?

Yes, I see pin feathers coming in. It can take awhile, but they will grow back. It looks like the former owner was taking care of her wound pretty well. If you have their number, you could call and ask them how they were taking care of it, and continue on their protocol.

Yes, I see pin feathers coming in. It can take awhile, but they will grow back. It looks like the former owner was taking care of her wound pretty well. If you have their number, you could call and ask them how they were taking care of it, and continue on their protocol.
Do you mean that the tiny bumps on her skin are pin feathers?

You'll see that some of the bumps have a blackish dot in the center, those are pin feathers that have not yet emerged.

Back
Top Bottom