Humane Society chickens????

Jeremy Parker

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
You will not believe this
duc.gif

A friend of mine works for the humane society which I think is great she donates her time for free!!
She called me last week and asked me what she should do with a chicken they had turned in, she had never worked with chickens before, i went in and offered to take it home with me. She said great and proceed to get the forms for me to fill out, she then tells me it will cost me $158.00 if I want to take her home with me
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
th.gif

I told her that is what I just paid for my 63 barred plymouth rock chicks. They ended up killing the chicken
rant.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

To bad was a nice white silkie

Blessings,
Jeremy

What senseless carnage??? No one would pay that for a chicken. For crying out loud, they couldn't make an exception. They rather kill the poor thing than let you give it a good home. Must have been a seriously, deranged, rabid silky if they thought they had to destroy it. The world gets scarier minute by minute. I would raise a stink and tell the story to your local newspaper.

hit.gif
That is so sad!! At our Humane Society, they will take chickens in and adopt them out for 2.00. Why did they have to kill it? That wasn't a HUMANE thing to do!!!!
tongue.gif
YES, tell it to the press!!

that is HORRIBLE. i would be writing a letter to the editor or something. how can they expect you to choose between paying $200 or the chicken being killed. this is just disgusting

I guess you're supposed to consider the adoption fee a donation of funds to the Humane Society in order to help them continue the animal rescue work they're doing. You're not supposed to think you're paying $158 for a chicken, but instead making a generous donation to their cause, and getting a free chicken as a thank-you gift.

But if that's the case, then I think they're pricing themselves out of the market.

If I remember right, Chicken Run Rescue of the Twin Cities of Minnesota asks $10 for a chicken adoption, and they deliver to your home within a reasonable distance. Extra $ for gas/travel indeed welcome!

The humane society called you then asked for money for you to take the chicken? Really! That's poor PR! If they were smart they would've called in the TV stations and had a story aired about how the chicken ended up at the shelter. I wondered how much they would have charged if you 'fostered' the chicken and not adopted it?

Mrs. K :

I think that is the going rate for any animal, but in dogs and cats, that includes the neutering.....SO did they neuter the chicken?

Going rate here is $25 for cats, a little more for dogs, all "fixed" and up to date on shots.​

Back
Top Bottom