Humane why to kill male chicks

Yuk. I had to kill 3-4 week old chicks this winter.

Meat birds I don't mind - when it's processing time.. but the little ones I really disliked. I felt cruel and I hope I never have to do it again.

That being said, I used a sharp knife on the neck and it did the job. The key was not to think and do it fast (I mean, grab the chick from the enclosure, go wherever you plan to do it and DO IT).
My favorite was a female I thought I'd keep for eggs.
I gave her a few kisses before I had to...
Nop, wasn't the right way to go at ALL.

I wish I had a husband or a boyfriend at times like these lol.

Having a husband or boyfriend is not necessarily a help. There are a lot of pansy men out there, believe me, I know. My ex-husband wouldn't even bait his own fishing hook, take the fish off or clean his catch.. All he did was cast out and reel in.. shoot, he wouldn't even empty the mouse trap... wimp.

Culling is definitely something to take into account before you commit to a breeding program...it can be hard. Be responsible and make it quick.

The only thing I care about is a humane death. Please don't ever be one of these people who gives the bird vodka to "relax" it and then gasses them with CO2.

Axe, knife, club, etc. Do it so you know there is no pain or panic. I couldn't care less how hard it is for the human, I care about the bird going out peacefully. Also, do your soul a favor and take care of the bird like it was a prize show-bird until its death.

I don't know about the axe. I've thought about it.. but being alone, I just can't figure it out.

How do you make the chicken remain in a laying down position?! I can't really imagine putting a foot on my poor chicken to hold it down (since I guess one hand is on the axe and the other hand holds the chicken's head).

But I've read some people hold the head down with a piece of wood or place it between screws on a board.
Personally I think that doesn't look like much fun for the chicken.

Two person I'd understand, but I'd be afraid to hit my friend with the axe!

Offgridhermit, the husband thing is not because I think man would be less of a wimp than I ;) It's more in a sense that if it's not our babies, if we don't spend a lot of time with the animal it is easier to cull. I offered to cull my friends's hens. He had them for 2 years and liked them too much to do it. For me, it wasn't a big deal since I never knew them!
That's why ;) It could also be a female friend in fact, don't know why I said husband. Just because he would be at my house all the time lol

I don't know about the axe. I've thought about it.. but being alone, I just can't figure it out.

How do you make the chicken remain in a laying down position?! I can't really imagine putting a foot on my poor chicken to hold it down (since I guess one hand is on the axe and the other hand holds the chicken's head).

But I've read some people hold the head down with a piece of wood or place it between screws on a board.
Personally I think that doesn't look like much fun for the chicken.

Two person I'd understand, but I'd be afraid to hit my friend with the axe!

You don't have to swing down like it's a lumberjack competition.
ep.gif

A sharp hatchet and a short smooth swing will sever the neck from the head.

Thanks for the input guys and yea I'm thinking a hungry snake somewhere would love a new taste other than rat

use a board with 2 nails in a v shape, put the chick in and pull back a little and use a hatchet. it barely takes any anything when the necks are stretched a little. this Is how I take care of sick birds I wont eat

Well that hatch and....it looks like they are all safe turns out my australorps are the current layers right now and 1 easter egger

Back
Top Bottom