1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humane why to kill male chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ryoohkey, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Having a husband or boyfriend is not necessarily a help. There are a lot of pansy men out there, believe me, I know. My ex-husband wouldn't even bait his own fishing hook, take the fish off or clean his catch.. All he did was cast out and reel in.. shoot, he wouldn't even empty the mouse trap... wimp.

4 people like this.
  2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Culling is definitely something to take into account before you commit to a breeding program...it can be hard. Be responsible and make it quick.

The only thing I care about is a humane death. Please don't ever be one of these people who gives the bird vodka to "relax" it and then gasses them with CO2.

Axe, knife, club, etc. Do it so you know there is no pain or panic. I couldn't care less how hard it is for the human, I care about the bird going out peacefully. Also, do your soul a favor and take care of the bird like it was a prize show-bird until its death.

3 people like this.
  3. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I don't know about the axe. I've thought about it.. but being alone, I just can't figure it out.

How do you make the chicken remain in a laying down position?! I can't really imagine putting a foot on my poor chicken to hold it down (since I guess one hand is on the axe and the other hand holds the chicken's head).

But I've read some people hold the head down with a piece of wood or place it between screws on a board.
    Personally I think that doesn't look like much fun for the chicken.

Two person I'd understand, but I'd be afraid to hit my friend with the axe!

Offgridhermit, the husband thing is not because I think man would be less of a wimp than I ;) It's more in a sense that if it's not our babies, if we don't spend a lot of time with the animal it is easier to cull. I offered to cull my friends's hens. He had them for 2 years and liked them too much to do it. For me, it wasn't a big deal since I never knew them!
    That's why ;) It could also be a female friend in fact, don't know why I said husband. Just because he would be at my house all the time lol

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

List them on Craigs list. I bet you could find some one with a hungry snake that way.

2 people like this.
  5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    You don't have to swing down like it's a lumberjack competition. [​IMG]

A sharp hatchet and a short smooth swing will sever the neck from the head.

6. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Thanks for the input guys and yea I'm thinking a hungry snake somewhere would love a new taste other than rat

1 person likes this.
  7. KevinEleven

KevinEleven New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Eastern Iowa
    use a board with 2 nails in a v shape, put the chick in and pull back a little and use a hatchet. it barely takes any anything when the necks are stretched a little. this Is how I take care of sick birds I wont eat

8. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

let them run wild [​IMG]

9. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Well that hatch and....it looks like they are all safe turns out my australorps are the current layers right now and 1 easter egger [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz! on the chicks and for not having to cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by