Humane why to kill male chicks

Ok, I want to buy cream legbar and Easter Eggers sex-link eggs for hatching. I want about a dozen each. I need to know the same thing. Would helium be a human alternative to dispose of unwanted cockerels ?

as chicks I would recommend a sturdy pair of hand held garden shears. As adults a pair of the anvil type pruners (the ones for 1 to 3 inch branches) they work the best for me. Tried the ax with and with out nails to stretch heads NEVER again. Very sharp ax as in cut myself with it and still took multiple wakes/chops to do the job.
sickbyc.gif

I don't like using an ax/hatchet--those feathers are so tough! I only did one so far, shot it in the head w/ a bb gun. It ran off sqwacking and flapping, but it was dead. So, I put it on the board to whack its head off and it took 4 or 5 tries. I didn't do it hard enough the first time, blade just bounced off! Did better after that, but made a mess. By then the blood wasn't flowing out very good. I felt it was a botched job. Next time I'll do better. I have 16 meat birds and plan on the cone and a box cutter/utility knife. I'm not good at sharpening knives; that's dh's job.

Would helium be a human alternative to dispose of unwanted cockerels ?

Helium (as well as several other inert gases) is a very humane way to euthanize and it's fairly easy for most to obtain...

A lot of people suggest using CO2 but excess CO2 levels is what invokes the suffocation reflex in most animals not the actual lack of oxygen and thus is technically not humane as the animal being euthanized knows they are suffocating and will start gasping for air and be in distress during it's final moments...

On the other hand inert gases like Helium do not invoke the suffocation reflex the animal is generally unaware anything is wrong and continues to breath normally as if nothing is happening until they pass out and the brain shuts down resulting is a peaceful death...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation

Hey, just wondering if anyone has tried inert gasses before, even better if thier is a video, how did it go ?

Back
Top Bottom