Humidity in Sportsman cabinet incubator?

ChickenMath101

Songster
Aug 26, 2017
My humidity is sitting at 53-55% in my new incubator. (Day 2) Temps and humidity have been sitting stable @ 99.7 degrees Fahrenheight and but I'm concerned humidity is too high this early on. According to directions I can partially cover my water pan with foil to lower humidity-do I need to? (I don't have any sponges in there, just the pan connected to the watering system bucket.)

I would completely remove the water.

See what the humidity level is with zero water in the incubator.

because yes....50 is much too high.
Thanks! Took out a plug and humidity is sitting @ 45%. If I take out the water entirely the incubator runs around 20%, so I need some water in there.

I've never have my humidity under 50% than bump to 60% before hatch and I've had 90+% hatch rates. Remember these cabinet incubators are not still air so you'll need a little more humidity. With turkey i like 60% humidity than up to 70% before hatch.
For me I'd like humidity a little higher than a little lower, because then the chicks are less likely to dry out while hatching.

My humidity preference is stated above. But last year I got a record of 98 percent of fertile in 4dz eggs. Most of the time I averaged over 90. The quality of the eggs did make a difference too.

It'll help to have a separate hatcher so you can jack up the humidity without creating problems for other egg that are incubating.

I'm not currently hatching, I'm on a winter break ;) But I like to keep it ~56 percent. Of course your location and height above sea level is a big factor too.

Back when I used the little Styrofoam incubators I could easily get humidity too high. However since I switched I've never had a bad hatch because of humidity.

I'd suggest a humidity of about ~55%, your first hatch will easily tell you if you need to go up or down.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom