Humidity Issues

jpepmiller

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
Louisiana
So I live in Louisiana and the humidity has been terrible so far this summer. I've got eggs in the incubator that are on day 8 but I can't get my humidity down. I've got rice in with them. I've put card board in with them. And they are in an air conditioned shed. I was able to hatch 18 of 22 earlier in the spring with 65% humidity the whole time, but I'm running 72-74% right now. Other than a dehumidifier, is there anything I can do to help? Would drilling some holes for vents help out?

So I live in Louisiana and the humidity has been terrible so far this summer. I've got eggs in the incubator that are on day 8 but I can't get my humidity down. I've got rice in with them. I've put card board in with them. And they are in an air conditioned shed. I was able to hatch 18 of 22 earlier in the spring with 65% humidity the whole time, but I'm running 72-74% right now. Other than a dehumidifier, is there anything I can do to help? Would drilling some holes for vents help out?
So you are Saying you have No water in the incubator and the humidity is in the 70's? Drilling holes is not going to help if the humidity is that high in your room.

What brand of incubator are you using and Have you used a second meter to check to see if the humidity is about the same as the one you are using? Is the humidity meter built in with the incubator?

Last edited:
It's an off brand that I've borrowed from some friends. Seems to be pretty close to secondary readings that I have put in. No water is in the incubator. I just went out to candle the egg so and my humidity was down to around 63. Maybe it's dropping my at night.

It's an off brand that I've borrowed from some friends. Seems to be pretty close to secondary readings that I have put in. No water is in the incubator. I just went out to candle the egg so and my humidity was down to around 63. Maybe it's dropping my at night.
I am wondering if the meter is correct?? Just for info--if the meter is correct---I personally feel that 60's is way to high for the first 18 days----But you said you had a good hatch before that high so I am thinking that meter is reading High. Good Luck.

Yeah I just hate to risk it. These are ayem cemani eggs that cost $80/dozen. And they are a friend's so I'm hoping it all works out. Thanks for the help

Just wanted to update that I went and bought another humidity gauge and my other 2 were wrong. I'm running 55% humidity now. Much better. Also, were you able to successfully sex your ayems?
No experience in sexing them----I do not have any personally just hatching each week for a lady that does---I return each week what hatches.

Back
Top Bottom