1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missmaryb, Mar 12, 2011.

1. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    As a lot of you know I'm prepping for another hatch and I just bought a new hygrometer...I calibrated it last night (using the salt-mixutre method) and all was fine. So today I cleaned the incubator, put a little water in the canals (about 1/4 of each) in the bottom and turned it on. I just went to look at it and the hygrometer says its at 95% humidty?!?! That can't be right can it?

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    It's right. It is not the amount of water that you put that dictates the humidity. It is the amount of water surface. So you fill all of them it goes high. You have less, if you fill less of the canals.

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Oh forget to say always use 100 degree water when you fill the machine. You don't want the water inside of the incubator to cool down.

4. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    wow..you need to let me know when your book is coming out because I plan to be the first in line to purchase it! You are fantastic thank you so much for all of the advice you've given me and every one else on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by