Humidity-sometimes ya just can't beat it.

I am wondering if I should add heat today. I have held out thru the negative temps but the pullets got wet in the rain and now we have frozen temps. This is my 1st winter. How would i know when they need to come in or have heat. They do have good ventilation and fresh wood chips.

Personally, I'm willing to err on the side of caution. I put out heat lamps if I have doubts.

This years weather is so far from normal. I'm considering locking the babies back into the brooder with the small heat lampfor the next cold snap. Doesn't get warm in there, water still freezes, but takes that edge off anyway.
Aart I'm sorry to hear about your birds. Some days during that long cold snap I thought I was going to crack up a bit from worrying about everything. Here's hoping the weather ahead goes a bit easier.

Same problems here this morning. All the snow melted and is seeping on the ground in the coop and the high winds and rain have caused the straw to be damp on top. We are going back to the negative temperatures tonight. I’m going to have to go take out straw and replace today. I hate dealing with straw, it gets so stinky so fast. Is it true pine shaving are not as warm as straw? I’d like to pull out most of the straw and put shavings on top instead.

I find straw less odor controlling than shavings also.
With all this crazy moisture I did a partial bedding change and added fresh shavings. Recently added and like chopped straw, keeps the shavings fluffed better, so that must mean holding more air, better drying and better warmth. Long straw I hate.

How can anyone control outdoor barn and coop conditions with this going on!
20180112_080755.png

Ok guys, now I'm scared. NJ warm rain today with a freeze coming in tomorrow. Small coop of 4 chooks hatched approximately October first. I use pine shavings. No power/heat. No garage/bathroom to bring them inside. Food and water can't e inside the small coop. So all I can think to do is totally change out pine chips for totally dry just before the freeze begins. Any thoughts/help?

Maybe try a dehumidifier. There's one on Amazon for $50 that works for 1,000 sq. ft.

They put out heat, too
Can't de-humidify the whole world :D
...open eaves make de-humidification and heating moot, not to mention a waste of electricity.

Roof boards look pretty darn dry this morning, floor is dry, bedding is still kinda damp. No horrible frostbite happened overnight.
Ice then snow overnight, windy and cold and still pretty damn humid today.
Internet is glitchy and computer needs some serious maintenance and my phone's out and bad knee is worse which make sit hard to do anything and ...it's been a crappy week, hope things start coming back together soon.<whineover> My main task today is to try and get the new bag of feed out of the van, over the ice/snow and into the coop without falling on my butt.

I took out the damp straw and going to pick up chopped straw and pine shavings today. But I’m going to wait until a little later in the evening as the temps fall before putting the fresh out. Hopefully the ground will freeze again and the new stuff won’t absorb so much moisture.

Ok guys, now I'm scared. NJ warm rain today with a freeze coming in tomorrow. Small coop of 4 chooks hatched approximately October first. I use pine shavings. No power/heat. No garage/bathroom to bring them inside. Food and water can't e inside the small coop. So all I can think to do is totally change out pine chips for totally dry just before the freeze begins. Any thoughts/help?
I think you are right on target. It sounds like your best course of action, IMO.

Can't de-humidify the whole world :D
...open eaves make de-humidification and heating moot, not to mention a waste of electricity.

Roof boards look pretty darn dry this morning, floor is dry, bedding is still kinda damp. No horrible frostbite happened overnight.
Ice then snow overnight, windy and cold and still pretty damn humid today.
Internet is glitchy and computer needs some serious maintenance and my phone's out and bad knee is worse which make sit hard to do anything and ...it's been a crappy week, hope things start coming back together soon.<whineover> My main task today is to try and get the new bag of feed out of the van, over the ice/snow and into the coop without falling on my butt.
Good Luck! Same weather here, ice and then snow last night. I fell on the ice this morning getting out of my truck!

Back
Top Bottom