Hummus help please

When I made Hummus the Tahini was the first step, like this.

http://middleeasterncuisine.suite101.com/article.cfm/home_made_tahini

So there you are with a mess in your food processor, just carry on adding the chick peas, roasted garlic (it takes longer than the sesame seeds so start that way early) more oil, whatever else you want like peppers, lemon, spice.....

Why clean the food processor twice?
wink.png

Quote:
Humus is a middle eastern 'condiment', and extremely popular in Israel, for instance. You can usually, therefore, find tahini in the kosher section of your grocery store, especially Walmart if you're in a pretty rural area. I imagine if you're lucky enough to have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby, they'd carry it in a gazillion varieties, too. My mom made humus for us when I was a kid, and added a bit of fresh, chopped parsley to it right at the end, in addition to the lemon, garlic, EVOO, salt, and pepper. She learned this from a Lebanese woman who lived near us (we were in Africa at the time). It's good this way, but my fav is the roasted red pepper. You can make it with just about anything, really... got some leftover eggplant or squash? You can buy wheat pita bread (pocket bread), cut it into wedges and toast in oven, then spread with humus and top with leftover veges for a yummy lunch. It's also yummy if you make felafel, a sandwhich made of chick pea 'meatballs' that are usually deep fried and then served in a pita pocket with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, whathaveyou, and a drizzle of humus or straight tahini (which is basically sesame paste). I recommend loading up on veges when you eat it for a very filling, energy-providing lunch that'll help if you are watching your weight.

Quote:
Humus is a middle eastern 'condiment', and extremely popular in Israel, for instance. You can usually, therefore, find tahini in the kosher section of your grocery store, especially Walmart if you're in a pretty rural area. I imagine if you're lucky enough to have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby, they'd carry it in a gazillion varieties, too. My mom made humus for us when I was a kid, and added a bit of fresh, chopped parsley to it right at the end, in addition to the lemon, garlic, EVOO, salt, and pepper. She learned this from a Lebanese woman who lived near us (we were in Africa at the time). It's good this way, but my fav is the roasted red pepper. You can make it with just about anything, really... got some leftover eggplant or squash? You can buy wheat pita bread (pocket bread), cut it into wedges and toast in oven, then spread with humus and top with leftover veges for a yummy lunch. It's also yummy if you make felafel, a sandwhich made of chick pea 'meatballs' that are usually deep fried and then served in a pita pocket with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, whathaveyou, and a drizzle of humus or straight tahini (which is basically sesame paste). I recommend loading up on veges when you eat it for a very filling, energy-providing lunch that'll help if you are watching your weight.

Yes, I know what hummus is....I like it a lot.....just wanted to make my own instead of paying an arm and a leg for a little container of it.

Quote:
Yes, and it thaws perfectly normal.

Glorious food! Delicious with tortilla chips, veggies, pita, felafel, and on a sandwich. We eat a lot! I get mine at Costco- they have more than one, but I get the one spelled Hummos, which is 4.75 or so for a giant tub.

I like it with roasted red peppers mixed in, with a really nice olive oil drizzled atop. mmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Quote:
Yes, and it thaws perfectly normal.

Glorious food! Delicious with tortilla chips, veggies, pita, felafel, and on a sandwich. We eat a lot! I get mine at Costco- they have more than one, but I get the one spelled Hummos, which is 4.75 or so for a giant tub.

I like it with roasted red peppers mixed in, with a really nice olive oil drizzled atop. mmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Thanks for your reply! We eat hummus fairly often, but I've never made my own. May have to try some of the recipes and ideas here.

I make my own but love making it with sunflower seeds instead:) We eat it on pita's with feta and lettace yumm! We also add nutritional yeast for a bit of a cheezy taste which goes well with the flavors of hummus.

Okay..i'm eating it now..Finally! Yum!!
I'm trying the roasted garlic one... on pita chips and also some crackers...
Also..i can see how they say its good on a sandwich too.. yup....glad i tried it.
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom