Pics
HE's son came back from work this evening low on gas after having been by all his regular fuel stations. Most were out of gas, one had a long line, so he just came home. Y'all be aware, refineries are out of commission for a while. Prices going up, and supplies might get low.

Yikes. I figured prices would go up so I topped off today.

I saw someone ask about how much snow an inch of rain equals. I think someone else answered than it was a 1:1 ratio, and I knew that couldn't be right at all. Did some research and it appears there are many answers, but it always takes a fair amount of snow to liquid rain, as snow is far less dense than liquid water. The generally accepted quesstimation for North America seems to be that 1 inch of rain is about equal to 10 inches of snow. So 50 inches of rain times 10 = 500 inches, or 41 2/3 feet of snow. :eek:

They were saying here in Colorado that it was equivalent to about 200 inches of "Colorado snow".

Heard that refinery in Houston is expected to blow because they can't keep it cool and are no longer trying to They are calling for mandatory evacuation for 50 miles in every direction I believe. That just adds insult to injury. And from what it sounds like the company that owns it doesn't want to disclose the chemicals other than peroxide of some sort.

Heard that refinery in Houston is expected to blow because they can't keep it cool and are no longer trying to They are calling for mandatory evacuation for 50 miles in every direction I believe. That just adds insult to injury. And from what it sounds like the company that owns it doesn't want to disclose the chemicals other than peroxide of some sort.

It's a chemical factory type of plant. Doesn't make gasoline or refine oil. It must cool lines to keep the chemicals from expanding rapidly (which is the actual definition of explosion), or leaking and mixing together with potentially unfortunate results. Electricity needed as well as human intervention to keep it safe. They don't have either due to the flood. It's a very bad situation there.

Well, the info I saw did say "North American conventional conversions". Wouldn't be surprised to see it was an average of the entirety of NA. :confused:

Well, regardless it would be the equivalent to a lot of snow because it was A LOT of rain. Crazy to think all but one of the top ten U.S. wettest storms all occurred since 2001.

It's a chemical factory type of plant. Doesn't make gasoline or refine oil. It must cool lines to keep the chemicals from expanding rapidly (which is the actual definition of explosion), or leaking and mixing together with potentially unfortunate results. Electricity needed as well as human intervention to keep it safe. They don't have either due to the flood. It's a very bad situation there.

Yes, that is horrible. Not only the worry about the explosion itself, but contamination of soil, water, etc. from whatever kind of chemicals are present. I think it's so wrong in so many ways that they aren't willing to disclose the details.

Back
Top Bottom