Hurricane Irma

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that terrible learning experience. I have taken note of those antibiotics and I will check my local feed store or Tractor Supply tomorrow to see if I can pick some up. My husband is getting some anchors to tie down the coops to make double sure they won't blow over and I will clean out the coops completely right before the storm gets here (hopefully it won't) so there isn't any bedding to soak up water or float in water if we do get too much rain. Luckily we live up on a hill so it would take quite a bit of rain for the coops to flood but we will still put sand bags around both just to be safe. Both of our coops are tall enough for me to stand in (I'm 5'9") so their roosts are actually pretty high. They are about at my shoulder when I'm standing in there. I will also position their food and water up high so they are not on the floor. I think the only thing left that I have no control over are the tall pine trees that are behind our property. If they happened to fall towards our side they could easily crush the coops and/or runs. Fingers crossed the storm just turns away from all of us and no one has to worry about it. I pray for everyone out there in it's path as well as those recovering from Harvey.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can, TonyaS. I've also seen numerous stray dogs after floods, as they get out of their fenced yards. I keep my birds in for about a week after a flood, keep my rifle loaded and the dogs are on high alert. Why a gun? I had a friend whose horse was chased and cornered by a pack of stray dogs once. Her hubby's rifle saved that horse. I don't take chances.

Also, if you're in the path of it, it is good to stock up on feed and water (and I purchase some bird antibiotics just in case something pops up during or after).

Everything floods pretty easily here so getting feed after a major event can become impossible sometimes for a week or more. I went to tractor supply today and stocked up just in case.

No, if you're in its path it's a good idea to GET THE HELL OUT NOW. It's now a cat 5 and the strongest hurricane ever recorded at this point of its tract. Don't take the chance, it's not worth it.

I'm repeating myself on purpose on alot of these threads. This storm is strong enough to register on sisemometors as an earthquake. Please do not take chances!

agreed!! The news here is saying the sustained winds could top 200mph the highest in the Atlantic has been 185. This is a nasty monster CAT 5 hurricane. If you are in the path and leave, get out. 2004 there was one hurricane that hit both coasts, if my memory is correct.

I am also in the path of the storm. I am wondering if during the actual storm if I should just leave the coop open or lock them in. We are surrounded completely by pine trees and I am more worried about a tree falling on the coop and them being trapped. I have too many chickens to bring in and they will be on their own. After the storm, they have ways to escape the water, but I don't know how to help them during the 24 hour beating we are about to take. Would you leave the coop open or lock them in? It's a large coop 20' x 16' with sturdy walls but a tree would cave in the roof. We are not in an evacuation zone. We are not leaving because we are in Central Florida. Praying it loses some strength.

I live in the Atlanta area and this is what I did! They're not psyched about it, but at least they are safe! :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom