Hurricane prep for diamond doves cage size

Bkydchickens

Chirping
Jan 20, 2020
I am trying to prepare for hurricane season for our pets. I was wondering in a temporary cage for diamond doves, how many can be safely placed in a cage 30 in long, 18 wide & 18 tall? My plan is to place the cage inside a bathtub and mostly cover with a cotton scrap fabric. I would hope any damage that happens to their aviary I can fix temporarily in a few days. Considering it takes me time to catch everyone & prep everything, I am planning they may need to be in there 1 week. Do I try to transfer any babies on a nest with their parents to their own cage? I sometimes see others tending babies. Thanks

I don't own doves, just pigeons. But, I would guess you could house for a week 4 in the cage, unless you have aggressive males. I would try to move the babies with their nest to the parents, be ready to hand feed though. If possible, could you try to slow down breeding if you think there are going to be hurricanes?

I hope this helps, abain, I don't own doves, but maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I don't own doves, just pigeons. But, I would guess you could house for a week 4 in the cage, unless you have aggressive males. I would try to move the babies with their nest to the parents, be ready to hand feed though. If possible, could you try to slow down breeding if you think there are going to be hurricanes?

I hope this helps, abain, I don't own doves, but maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Thanks so much! I think it is very helpful! The storm in the gulf would be okay timing as I have 2 babies getting really close to fledging and 1 that just fledged today. So far I'm in between eggs and really young babies. I only have 2 breeding males so that would be easy to separate. They aren't aggressive at all, but I also know that animals are upset when storms are coming. The turtles have to be in their own container, the rabbit scatters poo everywhere on high-speed production. Normally Aug and Sep are hurricane months (sometimes as late as Nov) so my plan was when I need to pull them for the threat of a storm, I would move them to visit with the Canaries in their aviary for the remainder of the season. Didn't plan on a storm possibly moving near the area next week! I'm sure the females will enjoy a long break from the guys! I have a pair of Red-factor Canaries that have a nest of eggs that would require moving. But it is their first and I don't think they are going to hatch, it's been 2 weeks. I like to have a written plan and it makes preparation much faster and easier, I have it to discourage storms... I greatly appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom