Hurricane prep, need advice

7 historically, a direct cat 3 was my evacuation trigger. Strongly suggest you finish packing your go bag and get the car loaded and ready. Then take your cell phone camera or a camcorder if you still got one and go videotape everything important to you that you are leaving behind. It will help with Future Insurance claims if they become necessary. Time to make some tough decisions. Fortune favor you and yours

Thank you so much everyone for your well wishes, guidance, and prayers! We've moved the coops into a cluster in a corner of the fence. Hurricane crates are set up with food and water in my dining room, and the ladies will be moving in tomorrow night.

Looking more and more likely like it'll be a Cat 4 storm on landfall.
View attachment 2813490
I like cyclocane. Com as a weather source. All the models, all the forecast intensity tracks, and they usually update faster than the local news does. Sounds like you are already pushing outside things into sheltered corners when you can't tie them down. That's a good thought. Stacking things in front of the windows on the inside of the house is another good thought. Put a flashlight with Good batteries and a good pair of shoes or better yet boots in the The bathroom period that way if you are forced to find shelter there due to tornado whatever comma you have good footwear and a way to see where you are stepping when you make your exit period

Looks like a direct Cat 3 hit. I don't think Baton Rouge has gotten hit with one in a long time. Looks like it'll be a Cat 1 or 2 when the eye reaches here.
Well, there is still some time for it to change it's strength and direction. So be prepared but hope for the best!!! :fl
Last year we had the strangest little hurricane skirt our island leaving us with just a bit of rain and weird weather. I know east coast if different but... maybe it will weaken.

Well, there is still some time for it to change it's strength and direction. So be prepared but hope for the best!!! :fl
Last year we had the strangest little hurricane skirt our island leaving us with just a bit of rain and weird weather. I know east coast if different but... maybe it will weaken.
You are absolutely correct that intensity and Direction can change at a moment's notice. Michael, which devastated the Panhandle, was supposed to be a cat one until just hours before landfall. Then it ramped up to a cat 3 overnight, people are still recovering. And the propensity for storms in the Gulf to change direction has all of us glued the forecast from Galveston Texas to the armpit of Florida (the stretch of coastline south of Tallahassee and west of Perry, that is, Apalachicola Bay).

/edited to fix text to speach errors.

Last edited:
Lord have mercy. Strong Cat 4 at landfall, stronger than Hurricane Laura last year.
...at the risk if dragging politics in, I am at an absolute loss as to why, when FEMA and federal disaster relief step in for the underinsured/uninsured, they don't condition "total loss" payments on forfeiture of the land, so the Federal Government can hold it as a buffer against future storms. The monster mcMansion owners can foot their own insurance costs - or move.

This is going to be ugly.

Sincerely hope (not the praying sort) that this thing passes with a minimum of injury and damage, with utilities promptly restored to those affected.

...at the risk if dragging politics in, I am at an absolute loss as to why, when FEMA and federal disaster relief step in for the underinsured/uninsured, they don't condition "total loss" payments on forfeiture of the land, so the Federal Government can hold it as a buffer against future storms. The monster mcMansion owners can foot their own insurance costs - or move.

This is going to be ugly.

Sincerely hope (not the praying sort) that this thing passes with a minimum of injury and damage, with utilities promptly restored to those affected.
Don't even get me started on FEMA. Only thing they're good for is sending weather alerts to my phone

...and actually start them. When you need them is a bad time to find your genny was filled with ethanol gas, and you have water gumming the works... At least if you start it and run it now, while you can see what you are doing, you know the carb is clear, the air filter isn't plugged, and the fuel lines aren't gummed up. (and you still have a few hours to run to the local car shop for a replacement fuel filter, if needed)

Back
Top Bottom