Hurricane

I know this is an unpopular opinion with some people. But if you are evacuating I would just let the chickens loose in a either a large run or just in the back yard. When I evacuated for Laura I left them in the coop/run (all of that was destroyed). I didn't lose any birds. Chickens hunker down. They know how to survive. The only people I know who lost birds tried to keep them locked in coops and the coops were either destroyed OR the birds were trapped without food or water and the owners couldn't get back to them bc of road conditions etc. It took me a couple weeks after the hurricane to be able to safely get back home and a full month before I could start to move back. If you are evacuating and may not be able to return for a while it's best that they can at least get out an forage and access water. If you are going to ride it out at home then keeping them secure is fine because you can let them back out when you storm passes. But if you are gone...and they are locked in a shed.... Eventually they're gonna run out of food or water.

For delta I stayed home. I just stuck the chickens in dog kennels in my shop for the storm.and really they would've been fine out in the coop but we got SO MUCH rain with that one I just felt bad about it lol.

I know this is an unpopular opinion with some people. But if you are evacuating I would just let the chickens loose in a either a large run or just in the back yard. When I evacuated for Laura I left them in the coop/run (all of that was destroyed). I didn't lose any birds. Chickens hunker down. They know how to survive. The only people I know who lost birds tried to keep them locked in coops and the coops were either destroyed OR the birds were trapped without food or water and the owners couldn't get back to them bc of road conditions etc. It took me a couple weeks after the hurricane to be able to safely get back home and a full month before I could start to move back. If you are evacuating and may not be able to return for a while it's best that they can at least get out an forage and access water. If you are going to ride it out at home then keeping them secure is fine because you can let them back out when you storm passes. But if you are gone...and they are locked in a shed.... Eventually they're gonna run out of food or water.

For delta I stayed home. I just stuck the chickens in dog kennels in my shop for the storm.and really they would've been fine out in the coop but we got SO MUCH rain with that one I just felt bad about it lol.

Here in central NC we got multiple storms last year -- though not with that class of winds. My chickens came out to forage in between rain bands.

They are super tough. Frankly they're better at surviving if you let them loose to hunker down where they see fit. My chickens foraged my back yard and my neighbors for a full month after Laura. Of course my neighbors that did stay brought them leftovers and feed from their bin. Surprised no one turned my rooster into a gumbo with all his racket though lol.

Great info @Halfpasthen, you've been there.
Some folks will consider taking their chickens with them when they evacuate. What they have to consider is having enough cages or crates for their birds.
I've practiced doing this when I lived in Georgia while preparing for hurricanes.

The key to caging birds for a short time or long time is putting birds in cages that get along with each other. If you dont, they will be fighting with each other all the time.
It's best learn and know the pecking order and cage birds accordingly. There will no fighting, pecking each other etc....which makes for a smooth evacuation.

Great info @Halfpasthen, you've been there.
Some folks will consider taking their chickens with them when they evacuate. What they have to consider is having enough cages or crates for their birds.
I've practiced doing this when I lived in Georgia while preparing for hurricanes.

The key to caging birds for a short time or long time is putting birds in cages that get along with each other. If you dont, they will be fighting with each other all the time.
It's best learn and know the pecking order and cage birds accordingly. There will no fighting, pecking each other etc....which makes for a smooth evacuation.
Yes if you can take them with you by all means. It's real hard to find accomodations for chickens tho so ppl need to consider that. Hotels aren't cool with it and if you are lucky enough to have family you can go to they can't always have roosters. So all stuff to consider. It's so important to have a plan in place BEFORE there is a hurricane. And if you want to take the birds with you make sure chicken math doesn't screw you over. I have room in my car for 1 husband, 1 son, 1 dog and 2 cats. I would love another dog but until I can upgrade to a bigger vehicle I can't even consider it. Chickens and fish have to stay home. That's just how it is. We live in a sturdy old house on piers that was built for this. It's lasted 70-80 years here through a lot of big storms. Even so. I tap out at a cat 3 or higher. It's not worth it and being without AC for a month or more in August is not something I willingly want to go through. There are so many things to consider. It bears repeating: have a plan in place well before hurricane season. Prepare for worst case scenario. Know you limit of what you are willing to weather and what your dwelling can withstand. And know the limit of how many animals you can house. If you are willing to leave them or not. This hurricane came on so fast guys. Literally just days to prepare. I canceled my work and have done all outdoor hurricane prep in 2 days. My back bedroom is full of patio furniture. The hurricane will likely not impact me now other than nasty weather we are used to. But we had no time to wait and see. It had to be done.

It bears repeating: have a plan in place well before hurricane season. Prepare for worst case scenario. Know you limit of what you are willing to weather and what your dwelling can withstand. And know the limit of how many animals you can house. If you are willing to leave them or not. This hurricane came on so fast guys. Literally just days to prepare.

I would like to give this post a standing ovation.

Back
Top Bottom