Hurt Buff Orpington Rooster

ChickenHoudini

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 13, 2014
My Rooster is hurt somewhat. i'm not to worried because he eats and drinks just fine. i'm just curious about what is wrong with him. i just hate him walking around the yard limping. it me feel bad because about two or three weeks ago he was running around fine. We think he was bitten by one of our pups. the only problem is that he limps somewhat badly and his comb hangs down. I'm not to worried about him just curious about his limp.

Yes, i have checked the rooster all over and i even squeezed his leg BUT NOT TO HARD.i just have no clue.

My Rooster is hurt somewhat. i'm not to worried because he eats and drinks just fine. i'm just curious about what is wrong with him. i just hate him walking around the yard limping. it me feel bad because about two or three weeks ago he was running around fine. We think he was bitten by one of our pups. the only problem is that he limps somewhat badly and his comb hangs down. I'm not to worried about him just curious about his limp.

Yes, i have checked the rooster all over and i even squeezed his leg BUT NOT TO HARD.i just have no clue.
So, when you checked him over what did you find? You say you are concerned he may have been bitten, did you find any bite marks?

Is there any swelling of his hock on the bad leg, or any sign of bumblefoot on his foot pad? If he wouldn't get too wild and crazy, I would think about caging him with food/water inside the coop at night, then bringing it outside during the day with the gang, in order to force him to rest the leg. Roosters have a harder time with sprains and broken legs. There are some skeletal abnormalities and slipped tendon that can cause limping and pain.

he has no sign of swelling or anything he just hops around on one leg. he acts just like a rooster just hopping everywhere

I would cage him along side the hens to make him rest--otherwise it may not heal. Give him a B complex tablet dissolved in a gallon of water or sprinkled on his feed every day. Lower your roosts if they are too high because that is a cause of many leg problems. My hen who had a bad sprain took 5 weeks to heal and stop holding her leg up.

Back
Top Bottom