Hurt leg-PLEASE HELP

HKW77

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
My two week old duckling has a hurt leg. He doesn't seem to want to put weight on it, doesn't make any noises when I hold the injured leg or stretch it out (I was trying to see if it was broken), please help. I'm so upset.

My two week old duckling has a hurt leg. He doesn't seem to want to put weight on it, doesn't make any noises when I hold the injured leg or stretch it out (I was trying to see if it was broken), please help. I'm so upset.
Are your ducklings in a brooder? can you tell where he may have hurt himself? sometimes when about the age of your duckling they can begin to have niacin deficiency especially if fed chick starter which is what most of us have to use but doesn't have the amount of niacin young ducklings need so what you need to do is start your duckling on either "plain" niacin crushed 100mgs into a 1 gallon jar shake real well before putting into waterer and you can also feed Brewers yeast to your ducklings which has B3 which is niacin. 1 tab to 1 cup of feed these need to be given until ducklings at at least 10 weeks of age. Plain niacin means not time released or flush free, be sure to shake jar real good before putting into waterer to make sure they are getting proper dose. Most of the time if it's a dif you will notice a difference in as little as 3 days. Please let us know how your duckling is doing..

and
welcome-byc.gif

They are in a brooder, I just have two. He's still hungry and thirsty. When he tries to put weight on the leg it doesn't seem to help. I don't see any obvious signs of pain. It was from an accident. I don't think it's a niacin deficiency, but I'm going to order some straight away and probably try and find a vet! I will post pictures in a minute.

Yes and yes. I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. I've waited my entire life to get ducks. He did use the injured leg to scratch his head. By leg band you mean the piece of tape on one leg, correct?

Last edited:
Yes and yes. I'm so upset, I don't know what to do. I've waited my entire life to get ducks. He did use the injured leg to scratch his head. By leg band you mean the piece of tape on one leg, correct?
Yes that is what Amiga means, how did he injure his leg? it looks swollen to me, I'd take him to a vet if you can, in the mean time you can try using some Epsom salt water compresses on the injury or soaks in Epsom salt water, But what ever you do if you use the Epsom salt they can not drink it because it not only helps with swelling and injuries but is also used as a laxative. If you decide to do compress take a large bowl and add 1/2 cup of ES to to warm water stir till salt is dissolved take a wash cloth or small hand towel dip into Salt water then wring and wrap around leg for at least 5 min. if you decide to do a soak I usually use a gallon bucket for my soaks but you could probably use a smaller one or a dish pan put warm water into bucket with 1 cup ES dissolve then place both legs into bucket and gently hold your duckling so his legs are dangling in the water hold him there for at least 5 min if you can do it longer then by all means do just don't let the water get cold or he may chill. Hopefully you'll be able to find a vet that will see ducks. Please let us know how he is.

It isn't hot or swollen and I can't see or feel any obvious breaks. She doesn't put weight on it and when swimming just keeps it up but still plays, easts and drinks. She doesn't seem to be in any obvious pain either. I'm trying to find a local vet that will see ducks, but any suggestions in the mean time? My son stepped on her foot while feeding them. I was right next to him, we have a lot of animals and my kids are good with them, but I do always supervise. How do I know if it's a dislocation?

I understand accidents. The swelling may be the body's response to trauma.

If the leg moves in the normal range it may not be dislocated.

The Epsom salt may be the best thing you can do - it helps with swelling and is a good all-around healing mineral.

You might consider a tiny dab of Traumeel ointment on the leg and foot twice a day. It is homeopathic medicine, I use it on myself for injuries and have used it on duck legs and feet also.

Back
Top Bottom