Hurt rooster - help!

Amontgomery61

Chirping
Oct 27, 2019
My roosters unknowingly got into a fight- resulting in two toes to be ripped off and facial injuries. This was completely unexpected as they are blocked from each other but somehow managed to get to each other!

What can I do for the care of the wounds? All the wounds happened to one chicken.

We have wound spray, bandages and antibiotic cream. We have moved him separate and he is in a very clean enclosure so the wound does not become infected. What else can we do?

topochico225

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
My roosters unknowingly got into a fight- resulting in two toes to be ripped off and facial injuries. This was completely unexpected as they are blocked from each other but somehow managed to get to each other!

What can I do for the care of the wounds? All the wounds happened to one chicken.

We have wound spray, bandages and antibiotic cream. We have moved him separate and he is in a very clean enclosure so the wound does not become infected. What else can we do?
Could you post pics of the wounds?

Amontgomery61

Chirping
Oct 27, 2019
These are his wounds. We have to find a vet that will take chickens but around here im not sure where to go!

Attachments

• 20210222_181547.jpg
    20210222_181547.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210222_181551.jpg
    20210222_181551.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210222_181555.jpg
    20210222_181555.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 13

thepick4uchicks

Songster
May 23, 2020
Mississippi
Picks posted thank you!
Is it possible that he got over exposed to frigid temps vs. attacked by his fellow roo? The places on his face and comb look a little like frostbite. As far as the toes go if the nails have been pulled completely out all you can really do is try to disinfect them really well with some solution for that which a vet could probably give you even though they might not see chickens. They could recommend one available over the counter if you feel comfortable buying like an iodine or betadine solution. Then I would keep spraying Vetricyn antibiotic spray on it as often as he would let me. The feed stores in MS carry it and the Farm and Ranch stores and PetSMart carries it. Places like that. There is also a poultry specific spray from Vetricyn. If you can’t find it then just get the regular one for dogs, cats, goats etc. it will be okay. He is not going to be licking it. Just spray it downwards away from his face and nostrils. I would clean his face with the same solution about twice really good. It won’t be an easy task and then see if you can keep triple antibiotic ointment on it for at least four or five days. Maybe if this works well you can avoid trying to give him any oral or injectable antibiotics or have to search for a Vet for miles away. I know how that is. I don’t have a Vet within 100 miles that will see my hens. I would have to take them over 100 miles to a Vet school. It wouldn’t be cheap either. I pray all the time they don’t do something crazy or get egg bound too bad for me to treat it. Good luck with him. I believe he will be alright just missing a few nails for a while but maybe not always. They might grow back and surprise you.

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Oh my, poor guy! He looks like he is in so much pain. Spray some iodine on wounds, put on antibiotics cream (with no pain reliever) and bandage up. Repeat once a day. The iodine is very important. Not sure what to do about the pain, but hopefully someone can help with that. My goodness that is so sad, I feel so bad for him. Good luck. Finally give him love, electrolytes, yummy snacks and a cozy place to relax.

Amontgomery61

Chirping
Oct 27, 2019
This is the first day he has been outside in a while due to the Temps being so cold. He was not in the snow today at all, as the space we keep the chickens is covered.

Top Bottom