Hurt rooster - help!

Amontgomery61

Chirping
Oct 27, 2019
My roosters unknowingly got into a fight- resulting in two toes to be ripped off and facial injuries. This was completely unexpected as they are blocked from each other but somehow managed to get to each other!

What can I do for the care of the wounds? All the wounds happened to one chicken.

We have wound spray, bandages and antibiotic cream. We have moved him separate and he is in a very clean enclosure so the wound does not become infected. What else can we do?

These are his wounds. We have to find a vet that will take chickens but around here im not sure where to go!

Attachments

• 20210222_181547.jpg
    20210222_181547.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210222_181551.jpg
    20210222_181551.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210222_181555.jpg
    20210222_181555.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 14
Oh my, poor guy! He looks like he is in so much pain. Spray some iodine on wounds, put on antibiotics cream (with no pain reliever) and bandage up. Repeat once a day. The iodine is very important. Not sure what to do about the pain, but hopefully someone can help with that. My goodness that is so sad, I feel so bad for him. Good luck. Finally give him love, electrolytes, yummy snacks and a cozy place to relax.

This is the first day he has been outside in a while due to the Temps being so cold. He was not in the snow today at all, as the space we keep the chickens is covered.

Wound care is critical in the first few hours after injuries. Any injuries, serious or superficial need to be washed with soap and warm water, and liberally flushed with warm running water to flush away all dirt and bacterial. If you haven't done that, you need to do it now. His face and eyes need to be flushed with saline solution. You can make your own with bottled or filtered water with a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water boiled and then cooled.

Vetericyn wound spray is easiest to use on all wounds. Then use anitbiotic ointment such as Neosporin to dress the wet wounds and they must not be allowed to dry out, so wound treatment must be daily.

Back
Top Bottom