Hurt rooster - help!

Wound care is critical in the first few hours after injuries. Any injuries, serious or superficial need to be washed with soap and warm water, and liberally flushed with warm running water to flush away all dirt and bacterial. If you haven't done that, you need to do it now. His face and eyes need to be flushed with saline solution. You can make your own with bottled or filtered water with a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water boiled and then cooled.

Vetericyn wound spray is easiest to use on all wounds. Then use anitbiotic ointment such as Neosporin to dress the wet wounds and they must not be allowed to dry out, so wound treatment must be daily.

This helped so much!!!! Thank you!!!

Wound care is critical in the first few hours after injuries. Any injuries, serious or superficial need to be washed with soap and warm water, and liberally flushed with warm running water to flush away all dirt and bacterial. If you haven't done that, you need to do it now. His face and eyes need to be flushed with saline solution. You can make your own with bottled or filtered water with a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water boiled and then cooled.

Vetericyn wound spray is easiest to use on all wounds. Then use anitbiotic ointment such as Neosporin to dress the wet wounds and they must not be allowed to dry out, so wound treatment must be daily.

This helped so much thank you!!

This is the first day he has been outside in a while due to the Temps being so cold. He was not in the snow today at all, as the space we keep the chickens is covered.
Is there somewhere warmer where he can hang out? a crate in the garage or something? What is the temperature?

We washed it with just plain water, put antibiotic spray and covered it. We didn't have HP on hand.
I think you did the right things so far and yes use antibiotic ointment with no pain reliever in it. I didn’t stress that before. The pain reliever they put in it is not safe for birds. Sorry I didn’t clarify that in my post.

Back
Top Bottom