Huskies đź–¤ anyone else?

I am thinking about getting a husky to do dryland mushing with. But I am not sure they would be a good fit for me because I have cats. Somebody said I should either get one from a breeder how has huskies that are good with cats or get a adult rescue that is known to be good with cats, but somebody else said no matter wha you do they are never good with cats, which one is correct? I have seen quite a few Huskies with cats.

I am also looking at other mushing breeds but all of them say the same thing about cats

I am thinking about getting a husky to do dryland mushing with. But I am not sure they would be a good fit for me because I have cats. Somebody said I should either get one from a breeder how has huskies that are good with cats or get a adult rescue that is known to be good with cats, but somebody else said no matter wha you do they are never good with cats, which one is correct? I have seen quite a few Huskies with cats.

I am also looking at other mushing breeds but all of them say the same thing about cats
Huskies are known for being prey driven but even with that it's not a hard and fast rule. I think your best bet would be to try for a rescue or shelter dog that's been tested around cats and isn't interested in them.

My grandmother bred Siberian huskies when I was a kid. Her daughter, my aunt, had several huskies, and over the years she adopted several stray cats that wandered into her yard, and the dogs didn’t harm them. My grandmothers dogs killed many things like squirrels and possums over the years, but I never heard of her dogs killing a cat, but maybe her neighbors learned not to let their cats out, long before I was born. My other grandmother had a malamute that my uncle bought at the mall pet store as an impulse gift for my little cousins. That dog moved into my grandmothers house at like 10 weeks old and she had a cat, there was never an issue. I think if you get a dog as a young puppy and have cats already, it will be fine. If you adopt a rescue, just be sure it’s ok with cats.

My grandmother bred Siberian huskies when I was a kid. Her daughter, my aunt, had several huskies, and over the years she adopted several stray cats that wandered into her yard, and the dogs didn’t harm them. My grandmothers dogs killed many things like squirrels and possums over the years, but I never heard of her dogs killing a cat, but maybe her neighbors learned not to let their cats out, long before I was born. My other grandmother had a malamute that my uncle bought at the mall pet store as an impulse gift for my little cousins. That dog moved into my grandmothers house at like 10 weeks old and she had a cat, there was never an issue. I think if you get a dog as a young puppy and have cats already, it will be fine. If you adopt a rescue, just be sure it’s ok with cats.
Thank you!

@rosemarythyme and @FloorCandy make great points!

I've seen huskies raised with cats without issues.

We adopted Shadow from.the shelter but we believe he was trained well but under-socialized with other dogs and animals. He still struggles out on walks but he has improved greatly (with supervision) with our chickens.

I am not a trainer but with lots of practice and dedication, and assuming there's no severe behavior issues, I am sure it can be managed.

@rosemarythyme and @FloorCandy make great points!

I've seen huskies raised with cats without issues.

We adopted Shadow from.the shelter but we believe he was trained well but under-socialized with other dogs and animals. He still struggles out on walks but he has improved greatly (with supervision) with our chickens.

I am not a trainer but with lots of practice and dedication, and assuming there's no severe behavior issues, I am sure it can be managed.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom