Huskies 🖤 anyone else?

@Coops Dad My mix is named Luna too! I also call her Looney Toons, Luna Tuna, etc. She does the nose bump thing to get attention too!
She came to us with that name. It seems to be the most popular name for wolf-like dogs so I'm rebelling against it. I've tried changing her name to Lola but she, my wife and my son ignore it.

So, Luna it is. Or Loonie-doonie big fat goonie.

Hey! I have a rescue mutt and I'm thinking she has Husky in her (haven't done a DNA test yet) mainly because of how she looks, her size, and the fact that she likes cold weather even with a short coat. Her personality doesn't really match Husky, though. I'm wondering.. what are some other, perhaps not-so-well known, Husky behaviors and traits?
Anything is possible! Especially with a mix. But even with a purebred, it's hard to determine if their personality will always match the breed. Some say they do not bark but, my female "Stella" barks; she can also be territorial when other dogs are walking by the house ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We didn't know a lot about huskies until we got our second; which made me convinced our Shadow wasn't 100%. Not only is he the biggest husky I had ever seen, he is the biggest couch potato, and doesnt "talk" like other huskies do.
I heard the groomer and others say he could be part Malamute so, I really thought that's what he was.
I am very happy that we did the DNA test.

Last edited:
My dog Sterling is a Lab/Husky mix. He's an adorable family dog. Like any Husky, I would never be able to trust him around my chickens, though he can safely walk around their whole yard without him trying to get them. Some of my chickens will even walk up to the fence while I'm walking him by. :)
I love labs, too! Do you have any pictures to share?! :D

My dog is a Husky GSD mix, and she's awesome. Her prey drive is off the chart so we have to keep her segregated from the chickens and turkeys. Her name is Luna but I give her mashup nicknames constantly, like Looney Toons, Luna McTuna, Looners and such but her spirit name is MurderDog because of how roughly she plays with my wife's beagle. She sounds like she's in a death match.

She's a shelter dog who spent almost 4 months in the pokey before she was adopted the first time due to her excessively dominant personality. She was adopted out and brought back twice, and was in foster care to avoid euth when my wife brought her home. Luna was very stoic and nonreactive for 3 months before she started coming out of her shell, and she became awesome. I cannot fathom how she dealt with going from her original owner, to the shelter (in a solitary kennel due to her drive to dominate), through two adoptions, to foster then, finally, to us. We've had her since March, and she's not going anywhere. She's my dog. My dog.

She plays very gently with the beagle now even though she still sounds like she's committing murder, and she does the husky "talk" when she wants food, or to go out, or butt scratches, or general attention. If I ignore her, she'll use her nose to flip anything I have in my hands, or she'll mouth my hand or arm and be a pest. She definitely communicates.

She LOVES car rides and knows she gets to go inside the feed store and Cabela's. The feed store we go to has a treat jar and the counter girl always does smooshyface to her before giving her a treat.

She is a very good dog.View attachment 2830505View attachment 2830507View attachment 2830508
She is gorgeous! Those icy blue eyes :love definitely has that husky and GSD combination. Sounds like a wonderful girl. Love the pictures 💜
Such a great story of her coming into your life. It's sad to think she had to endure that kind of life for awhile but, to have a family that she belongs with gets me all teary.
Does she walk good on a leash?

I wouldn't give mine up for the world. But not a lot of people have the patience for huskies. Since more people have gone back to work, I see so many listings online for huskies with similar stories "I dont have the time anymore." I wish I could adopt all of them :lol:

She is gorgeous! Those icy blue eyes :love definitely has that husky and GSD combination. Sounds like a wonderful girl. Love the pictures 💜
Such a great story of her coming into your life. It's sad to think she had to endure that kind of life for awhile but, to have a family that she belongs with gets me all teary.
Does she walk good on a leash?

I wouldn't give mine up for the world. But not a lot of people have the patience for huskies. Since more people have gone back to work, I see so many listings online for huskies with similar stories "I dont have the time anymore." I wish I could adopt all of them :lol:
Lunie walks great on a leash. When we first got her, we couldn't take off hereash until we got inside and closed the door because she's bolt and chasing her down could take hours. One day, my son accidentally left the back door open and I realized Looner was gone. I ran outside calling her name only to find her laying on the front porch. She came over and walked off leash like we'd been doing it since she was a pup, literally at my side.

Nowadays,well walk to the end of the driveway (1/4 mile), get the mail and walk back, and she never gets more than 10'-15' away from me. She tracks back and forth ahead of me, checking scents and eating grasshoppers, and always keeps an eye on me. If I stop, she comes to me and watches my face. If I change directions, she comes up and bumps my hand with her nose to reconnect with me, then does her scout thing in the new path.

She really is a good dog. I have no doubts that she'll joyfully kill all my chickens, the neighbor's cat, random possums, raccoons and maybe even the neighbor's dog if she got a half a chance but, other than that tiny character defect, she's an excellent dog.

And yeah, her eyes are spectacular. Whenever we're out and about, she pulls in the ladies. If I was single, she'd be a great wingman.

I am thinking about getting a husky to do dryland mushing with. But I am not sure they would be a good fit for me because I have cats. Somebody said I should either get one from a breeder how has huskies that are good with cats or get a adult rescue that is known to be good with cats, but somebody else said no matter wha you do they are never good with cats, which one is correct? I have seen quite a few Huskies with cats.

I am also looking at other mushing breeds but all of them say the same thing about cats
I raised a full blooded Husky from a pup and he was a doll baby.However.He killed his first turkey in our backyard at 6 months and the killing never stopped.He'd throw field mice up in the air as if it was a game and swallow them whole.He also chased cats and eventually caught,killed and ate them.I re-homed him out of fear he would eventually kill mine.He never killed any cats or chickens of mine but it was only a matter of time.
He couldn't get to the chickens they were all in a pen.I only had one cat when I had him and he was raised with it was why. He was a fence breaker,chain breaker and forever getting loose.People were terrified of him when he got loose thought he was a wolf. I got sick of him escaping and killing animals.It was the cats that made me the maddest.

We tried to put her in a 10'x20' kennel while my wife mopped our kitchen and living room. She pulled a strand of chain link wire loose from one of the panels, effectively unzipping it and creating a vertical slit theough which she escaped.

I'm trying to find a pic of it. Her jaw and tooth strength- and her determination- are impressive and a little scary.

Anything is possible! Especially with a mix. But even with a purebred, it's hard to determine if their personality will always match the breed. Some say they do not bark but, my female "Stella" barks; she can also be territorial when other dogs are walking by the house ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We didn't know a lot about huskies until we got our second; which made me convinced our Shadow wasn't 100%. Not only is he the biggest husky I had ever seen, he is the biggest couch potato, and doesnt "talk" like other huskies do.
I heard the groomer and others say he could be part Malamute so, I really thought that's what he was.
I am very happy that we did the DNA test.
Guy I once knew sold me a pup with a blue eye and a brown for $50 bucks.He claimed the brown eye was the result of having some wolf in him.Claimed he'd make a good watch dog but was worthless.He never barked once. He gave me papers so I didn't believe much of anything about the story about the wolf parentage.I did see the mother and she looked rough and lean like a coyote or wolf.Not very pretty in my opinion. The pup considered any prey animals dinner except the cat he was raised with.He ate other cats.I trained him to shake hands but never could stop him from killing prey animals or breaking loose.

Lunie walks great on a leash. When we first got her, we couldn't take off hereash until we got inside and closed the door because she's bolt and chasing her down could take hours. One day, my son accidentally left the back door open and I realized Looner was gone. I ran outside calling her name only to find her laying on the front porch. She came over and walked off leash like we'd been doing it since she was a pup, literally at my side.

Nowadays,well walk to the end of the driveway (1/4 mile), get the mail and walk back, and she never gets more than 10'-15' away from me. She tracks back and forth ahead of me, checking scents and eating grasshoppers, and always keeps an eye on me. If I stop, she comes to me and watches my face. If I change directions, she comes up and bumps my hand with her nose to reconnect with me, then does her scout thing in the new path.

She really is a good dog. I have no doubts that she'll joyfully kill all my chickens, the neighbor's cat, random possums, raccoons and maybe even the neighbor's dog if she got a half a chance but, other than that tiny character defect, she's an excellent dog.

And yeah, her eyes are spectacular. Whenever we're out and about, she pulls in the ladies. If I was single, she'd be a great wingman.
Oh you're so lucky! She must know that you are where she wants to be 💜

Is she good with other dogs, too? Other than the beagle?

Back
Top Bottom