HWLP BABY CHICK ATTCKED! ( graphic images)

Sara S

Crossing the Road
May 13, 2020
FL
Hi everyone i just got back from a New Years thing and I came back to see my baby chicks looked very scared. The only animal that could have gotten to him was my cat, and the door to the room they are in was closed but someone must have opened it. I know to use hydrogen peroxide to clean it only 1 time and then triple antibiotic on it, but should I wrap it? I’m gonna isolate her because she gets picked on sometimes. There are no other chickens in the box but my other 3 babies.

0B3BBB9E-BF7C-4AD6-B11A-5B9B6899FD36.jpeg
8C165B48-B4BF-4725-AE58-B27D30B0EBD3.jpeg
E04244F4-C0AF-4D74-BA49-6287CBE85EEB.jpeg
387CABB9-81DB-4D84-AACE-6D09175AD756.jpeg
264F1307-46CA-4B45-BAAE-1068327F0108.jpeg
4174BC34-B068-477E-BC95-DB6F963E3CFB.jpeg
4174BC34-B068-477E-BC95-DB6F963E3CFB.jpeg

31F19470-73A9-4B58-9245-AD0A0AF4AE05.jpeg
FC2F24B1-DF7F-47BA-A11B-CDE01BAF4111.jpeg
2 of the others are hurt too, one under the leg and another under the wing. Could it be from something else that wasn’t an animal?

It's important for it to have air
Okay thanks I cleaned it really good and put some sntibiotic ointment. One is laying sideways because the cut is under her leg, and one can’t bend to poop but the poo is normal and they are drinking+ eating. The one with the leg issue is my biggest concern though because she isn’t drinking much

I don't use hydrogen peroxide because it can damage living tissue. Better to clean with sterile saline solution. You can make your own. Boil a quart of water for 15 minutes, covered, and let it cool to room temperature. Pour into a clean quart jar. Add 2 teaspoons salt and a pinch of baking soda if you have it. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and shake to dissolve.

I like to pour this into a squirt bottle and spray the wound thoroughly to clean the area, that way I can get the wound clean without scrubbing. My patient tolerated it very well.

Whenever I use my pressure canner, I can a few jars of plain water so I always have sterile water on hand for emergencies. Then it's ready to add salt to make into saline solution whenever I need it. Good luck with your babies! Di you have any Veterycin on hand?

Okay thanks I cleaned it really good and put some sntibiotic ointment. One is laying sideways because the cut is under her leg, and one can’t bend to poop but the poo is normal and they are drinking+ eating. The one with the leg issue is my biggest concern though because she isn’t drinking much
Move it close to her every now and them or reach the water up to her beaks every hour...she will be fine

Move it close to her every now and them or reach the water up to her beaks every hour...she will be fine
Thank you, also wondering can chickens get fevers? One of mine is a little warm and they are on a heating pad but it’s under a blanket and it’s barely warm. Thanks and happy new year!

Yes usally means and infection...is it warm on the skin that is hurt or just the chicken and how warm compared to the other does it feel. If you are super concerned about temp you can take a thermometer to the but and see how off it is to the other.any questions lmk :)

Back
Top Bottom