Hybrid female killer duck?

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I just got some exotics in the last 1.5 years. (had domestics for over 15). I got a pair of silver pochards; they were in a temp pen. While we built a larger aviary. I saw the female pecking at the male rather often. Which I thought was odd. One day, he got caught in a piece of wire and it was just one spot on his wing. He died 2 days later (I did some first aid,but it really didn't look like anything but a scratch). FF I got a pair of red head pochards, some Austrialians and Fulvous Whistling ducks. They were in the large aviary...did see her peck at the red head male a few times (no blood, just like she was chasing him off) (both pairs were supposed to be a young mating pair.)...One day I found him dead, not a mark on him... Ok bad luck? I have also seen her chase the other ducks off when I put food in the two feeders.. The Austrialians can fly some so she can't go after them. Then I found my male Fulvous dead in the little pool, no marks on him... don't think she did it, because they can fly too...more 'bad luck' I guess... But I have seen her picking on the other female red head a bit lately... and the female Austrialian, but they can fly, and are quicker and she is fat and doesn't fly.... my gut feeling is she is too aggressive maybe because she is a hybrid and I am planning on separating her ...and I am not sure I want to buy her another mate if she is 'a bully'.... and replace the other 2 males... thoughts?

haven't moved her yet... she will peck at the other ducks (if she can get to them) when I put food in the feeders...she chases them away... after she eats they can come over...Fortunately, 3 of them are fast and can fly...she and the other female red head seem ground bound ..(a bit chubby).... I am either going to separate her or trade her maybe...I am trying to get another male and see how she does with him ... if she keeps at it I guess she has "issues"... it is 22 X 24 or so so plenty of room... several undercover places and 2 ponds... Just wonder if the "hybrid " creates a breed issue...too bad. Silver Pochards are pretty...

Well, here is what I did. She was bullying everyone else near feeders, water ponds, whatever she wanted I guess.... so I moved her to her own pen and got a new male and we will see...maybe she is just "insecure" because she is a hybrid .... not sure she killed the two males... one did have a injury from wire in temp pen...so maybe she knew and was picking on him... the other male...who knows... the third was in a pond floating so may have been something else...

Well, here is what I did. She was bullying everyone else near feeders, water ponds, whatever she wanted I guess.... so I moved her to her own pen and got a new male and we will see...maybe she is just "insecure" because she is a hybrid .... not sure she killed the two males... one did have a injury from wire in temp pen...so maybe she knew and was picking on him... the other male...who knows... the third was in a pond floating so may have been something else...
So what happened ?
What is this killer duck a mix of ?
How did she do with her new mate ?
Sorry about all your other ducks , it's seems like it's always the males . Haha

Back
Top Bottom