Hypothermia or Marek's?

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
Its been very rainy here in western WA. We had just put up a roof for our run but hadn't finished installing the metal roof just yet. (Just the plywood and the tar paper was installed and the structure was reinforced). The winds blew away the paper, and the roof got all leaky... Needless to say, I have a somewhat muddy run again. :barnie

Now yesterday morning, I noticed two of my young cockerels were extremely muddy! So one at a time, I took them inside, gave them a quick hot bath and began blowing drying. The first cockerel had me really worried because he just seemed weak and depressed. But after the bath and drying him up, he immediately perked up. To be sure I placed him in a kennel and gave him some electrolytes and probiotics with food and watched him throughout the day. He was doing just great so when night time came I brought him to the coop to sleep.

The 2nd cockerel I am questioning right now. I'm worried about him.. :(
I did the same thing. I bathed and blow dryed, execept he wasnt perking up like how the other did. In fact he was very sleepy and weak/wobbly. I don't have a thermometer on hand, but he's not very warm at his core. I'm worried he became Hypothermic beforehand. I wrapped him up and offered electrolytes and some.food. after a while he woke up and really went to town eating and drinking. I should note that before this, his crop was empty.. I kept him inside overnight wrapped up. I left him in the bathroom with the heater on.

This morning, He's still the same. His eyes are closed except now his breathing is more shallow. I don't think it was enough to warm him. I just put him in the barn under a heat lamp to give him some more direct heat. I'll check up on him shortly, but I'm stumped. His crop did not empty, and is hard/doughy. He'll wake up and look around but then return to dropping his head and sleep. I'm wondering if it could be Marek's because only yesterday I just realized how skinny he was. His breast bone is very pronounced and he hardly has breast muscles there? I introduced him to the main flock about 2 weeks ago. I've seen him eat a bit, but I wonder if he wasn't eating enough? Just the other day he was running around and foraging.. Behaving normally. I don't recall him being so thin last month. Could this be Marek's as well? When I go check on him, I'll check his eyes as well...

Any advice would be great

Always look to the most obvious cause before you jump to conclude the worst. Treating for the obvious is a good way to rule out causes so that you can move on to consider others.

Hypothermia can be very serious and take time to bring the chicken out of it. I suggest warm sugar water to increase his blood glucose, and wrapping him in a warm towel right out of the dryer. Repeat both of these measures each hour until he's perking up.

Poultry Nutri-drench was formulated for just such a case. It gets immediately into the blood stream and can inject important life saving nutrients into his system with dramatic results. Then offer soft boiled egg, cottage chess, yogurt, tofu or other high protein foods to get him charged up again.

Always look to the most obvious cause before you jump to conclude the worst. Treating for the obvious is a good way to rule out causes so that you can move on to consider others.

Hypothermia can be very serious and take time to bring the chicken out of it. I suggest warm sugar water to increase his blood glucose, and wrapping him in a warm towel right out of the dryer. Repeat both of these measures each hour until he's perking up.

Poultry Nutri-drench was formulated for just such a case. It gets immediately into the blood stream and can inject important life saving nutrients into his system with dramatic results. Then offer soft boiled egg, cottage chess, yogurt, tofu or other high protein foods to get him charged up again.

Thank you so much for your response. Sadly he just passed away with me :(

I'm sorry. If you do suspect Marek's, it would be wise to have a necrosy performed on his body. Contact your state ag office for information or your local vet.

Back
Top Bottom