I’m scared for my duckling.. please help

ceceb1718

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
Well my duckling seems fine until he starts panting with his mouth open, sometimes he would throw up clear saliva like watery stuff, sometimes I pick him up and he would spit water, and at first he was chirping and now it sounds like his voice is changing, his breathing is a little faster and I’m scared to take my eyes of him. Please let me know if something is wrong I’m trying to ask vets but they jus send me to others because they don’t do ducklings. He looks like he’s asking for help when he’s panting with his mouth open! Please help

How old is the duckling. How hot is the brooder? Is it an only duckling or does it have company?
I honestly don’t know how old they are I got two from tractor supply. It’s a girl and a boy. I got them march 20th. I have a bucket and a bed they sleep on. And I clean everything up every 2 hrs and make sure they have clean water and dry food.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 6
What type of heating are you using? many times when ducklings pant they are too hot do you know the temp in your brooder? They look to be 2 going on 3weeks old and the temp in the brooder should be 75-80* and with the size brooder you have which they are going to outgrow soon they may be over heated. Do you know the breed? they don't have orange bills like most Pekin do. Unless the picture just isn't showing it up. Also can they dunk their heads into a water container when eating or thirsty It's important for ducklings to be able to clean their eyes and nares often.
:welcome

What type of heating are you using? many times when ducklings pant they are too hot do you know the temp in your brooder? They look to be 2 going on 3weeks old and the temp in the brooder should be 75-80* and with the size brooder you have which they are going to outgrow soon they may be over heated. Do you know the breed? they don't have orange bills like most Pekin do. Unless the picture just isn't showing it up. Also can they dunk their heads into a water container when eating or thirsty It's important for ducklings to be able to clean their eyes and nares often.
:welcome
I don’t use any heating only because my house is already naturally warm. I think it’s 75 degrees in the house right now but I have a fan on them just in case they got hot and then it gets cold at night and they are pelkin ducklings. They do dunk they heads. When I let them swim for 10 min yesterday in the bath they went under the water and were cleaning themselves

I don’t use any heating only because my house is already naturally warm. I think it’s 75 degrees in the house right now but I have a fan on them just in case they got hot and then it gets cold at night and they are pelkin ducklings. They do dunk they heads. When I let them swim for 10 min yesterday in the bath they went under the water and were cleaning themselves

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 4
Do you let them swim in warm water? that is important too. I don't know why the one would be panting but I have read many times that Pekins do pant so it may be just a normal thing with them they must get overly warm easily. They sure look healthy. When you let them swim and take them out of the water pat them dry and place them back into the brooder and I don't think I would have the fan blowing over them it may cause them to chill. It's a lot of fun watching them swim and dive underwater isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom