I accidentally ripped all her tail feathers out!!!

AmberLittlejohn

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Upstate South Carolina
My olive egger, Periwinkle, was in the trees and we’re about to have a heavy snow. When I tried to grab her she jumped down and I ended up ripping out a fist full of tail feathers. I read there are blood feathers back there but it’s very dark to tell if she’s going to bleed. Her rump is bare now 😞 I feel AWFUL. Is she going to be ok should I keep an eye on her???

She’ll be ok. Maybe a tad bit sore, but she’ll be ok. Don’t let it get infected , and don’t beat yourself up. She’ll be just fine😊
Thank you so much. It’s hard not to feel bad with the way she screamed. My husband thought someone was killing a cat outside. Thanks again for your response I was worried she may bleed out

Thank you so much. It’s hard not to feel bad with the way she screamed. My husband thought someone was killing a cat outside. Thanks again for your response I was worried she may bleed out
Oh no problem!! My chickens jump out of they’re fence, and the fat ones scream like they’re dying when they hit their feet on the fence that they’re choosing to jump out of🙄 they’re dramatic. Again, just don’t let the other ones bite it, and prevent infection and she’ll never even know anything happened. She probably screamed because of fear, not only pain. Take care!!

Feathers are meant to come out in scary moments - like fur, or even tails (for lizards.) No feathers are connected to any vein big enough that they’d bleed that much when ripped out.

Thanks everyone, unfortunately poor Periwinkle is not having the best luck: someone pooped on her yesterday so now she’s in the infirmary so I can bathe her 😬 she definitely hates me now.
Wow! Periwinkle's not having a good week. Extra mealworms and a little cuddling and hope she isn't the vengeful type. 😉

Back
Top Bottom