I actually have two questions. Rhode island vs production and chance of a cockerel

The Hatchery uses show birds for breeding stock (from what i gather) Seems like some of their breeds come from local breeders who show. I posted this question again with pics. (Sorry i at first couldnt figure out how to add them to this thread) So far they are a nice deep red.

No hatcheries use show quality for breeding stock, that's why all hatchery sites will say in fine print they aren't exhibition quality or something along those lines.

I had my father order me some Reds. He was supposed to order me a straight run of 15. BUT he ordered pullets only and I got 16. What are my chances I manged to get a cockerel? Should I keep hoping? Second thing is. I ordered from a hatchery. From what I have read they are probably production reds. However the hatchery has them listed as "Heritage " Rhode Island Reds with a sep listing for production reds. The Rhodes are listed on their site as APA. And that thwy have been working on the bloodline for 30 years. What's the chance they are actually Heritage? Thanks for any help!
smile.png

You just wanted one cockerel, not 7 or 8, right?

You might have a cockerel in your flock of 16. That 16th one may have been a cockerel they threw in. If not, you can look around and find a Rhode Island Red rooster, which is one of the most popular breeds.

How old are they now?

I just looked on their site and it says Production Reds are sold out, only ones in stock are RIR's, so I would say it's a good chance that's what you have. Also said they've been "perfecting" their heritage strand since 1936 so that's like 80 years!

I would almost guarantee you have one cockeral mixed in there.

Production reds don't live as long, so you wouldn't want a rooster of them you would want the RIR for a rooster.

It states: Breeder Farm Source: "Cackle Hatchery Poultry Breeding Farm" developing our bloodline or strain of pure Rhode Island Red since 1936.

I think I'd be crossing my fingers I didn't have one and then using the opportunity later to buy a really good quality rooster later from a breeder.

Where is the thread with the pictures?

Do you plan to breed them, or do you just want a rooster?

I think those are very good Rhode Island Reds, based on the pictures the hatchery has posted.

Last edited:
Where is the thread with the pictures?

Do you plan to breed them, or do you just want a rooster?

I think those are very good Rhode Island Reds, based on the pictures the hatchery has posted.
I posted back in this forum. I want to breed for mostly my own flock. No showing. Sell off the extras.

You just wanted one cockerel, not 7 or 8, right?

You might have a cockerel in your flock of 16. That 16th one may have been a cockerel they threw in. If not, you can look around and find a Rhode Island Red rooster, which is one of the most popular breeds.

How old are they now?
Hatched Aug 6th. and yes i just want one or two.

Back
Top Bottom