I am a horrible chicken mama

I'm really new at this posting business, so please be patient w/ me. How do I get a quote into the white box? I'm rughooker who responded to Ladysonja's story to Stormy. HELP!!!!!!!
hu.gif

Stormy - Sorry this happened to you; it's bad enough when they are lost to predators...I feel your pain... One way to prevent this kind of accident from happening again would be to prop your waterer up on bricks. We have done this since we first brought chicks home last June, to help keep the water trough junk-free, and it works pretty well. As a bonus, there is always a firm surface to lay the water container on, and no digging underneath.
Just a thought - your chick may have dug under the waterer after you placed it back in the coop because it was cool in the pine shavings there, and was unable to get back out.
Hope this helps!

Quote:
You get a quote into the box by making sure that the {quote} is in front of what you want to quote and the and {/quote} is on the back end. Think of them like parentheses that need to open & close your quote. Smae goes for images, bold, italics, & underline.

I almost did this same tragic thing Stormy so you are not a "bad mama"!When I had my first batch of chicks I was changing the water out as they really got it messy very quickly. Those little demon chicks are soooo dang fast! It is a wonder that any predator could ever catch them let alone make a meal on several, without burning up more reserves than are gained by going after a chickie snack. Anyway two birds with one stone so to speak.... raise your waterer up a bit off the floor of the brooder (I used the Tupperware/Rubbermaid type sandwich storage cointainers I found at Wal-Mart (3 for $0.97!) Raised it just enough to keep the shavings and poo outta the water but low enough the fuzzbutts could stretch their necks just enough to get to the water and get a good drink. Then when you change/clean the waterer instead of setting it straight down onto it's "pedestal" set it down BESIDE the pedestal to just the right height to slide it over onto the pedestal before finally setting it down.This way any chicks under it can escape and any chicks on the pedestal get pushed off back into the shavings safe and sound and you will have peace of mind that there were no strays under the waterer.
Clear as mud? If that didn't make sense PM me

Don't feel too bad. I put the waterer down on one of my chicks heads the other day. They see it coming and get so excited and get in the way. I saw it as soon and I let go, and the chick was fine, but still it could have had the same results.

((hugs))

Back
Top Bottom