I am a little concered that Molly is a boy. What do you think?

Thanks, looks like I got lucky as these are beautiful birds!
wee.gif

Yes, Molly is a pullet. As others have said that coloration is only on females. Males would do not have brown breasts, they would have black. The tails of young Easter Egger are often not a good indicator of gender.

Yes, Molly is a pullet. As others have said that coloration is only on females. Males would do not have brown breasts, they would have black. The tails of young Easter Egger are often not a good indicator of gender.

maybe my ignorance is showing, but could you explain to me why the breast would be black if it was a cockrell?

maybe my ignorance is showing, but could you explain to me why the breast would be black if it was a cockrell?

It would be black, as the color type is an offshoot of Black Breasted Red (Wild type.) Females of this variety have salmon breasts, and males have black. Why? This is just how genetics works. Hens are more camafluague, and roosters are bold. You will notice the black breasted rooster routine in other main colors such as Wheaten, Brown, Brown Red, Birchen, and more. Roosters that do not have black breasts carry a black restrictor such as Columbian, Dark brown, Mahogany, and Dilute.
Though some color types do have roosters with light colored breasts, I can't think of any that are solid Salmon. It just goes against the grain.

If it were a roo, the comb would be bigger. More raised up. The amount of pinkness if fine for a pullet. And that is a 100 percent pullet coloring. A roo can't have that color.

So, pullet.

Back
Top Bottom