I am a Mommy!!

I am almost ready to start painting the inside and outside of the coop. I took a break and modified the brooder to expand the space the chicks have. Initially I constructed it outside then realized there was no way it would fit through the door. SO ~~ apart it came and putting it back together was quite quick. They really like it!!

Attachments

• BGUZ7336.JPG
    BGUZ7336.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • BICS4229.JPG
    BICS4229.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8694.JPG
    IMG_8694.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8704.JPG
    IMG_8704.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8705.JPG
    IMG_8705.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8707.JPG
    IMG_8707.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8710.JPG
    IMG_8710.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8708.JPG
    IMG_8708.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8711.JPG
    IMG_8711.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8712.JPG
    IMG_8712.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8715.JPG
    IMG_8715.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 5
  • QRSJ3201.JPG
    QRSJ3201.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 6
I am almost ready to start painting the inside and outside of the coop. I took a break and modified the brooder to expand the space the chicks have. Initially I constructed it outside then realized there was no way it would fit through the door. SO ~~ apart it came and putting it back together was quite quick. They really like it!!
Wonderful photos! Nice expansion, I bet they enjoy the extra room!

Here are some photos of where I am with the coop currently. My neighbor did an addition on their home, and they had OSB that was used to cover floors. He gave it to me to use. Most of the purchases were "broken edges" items, so it kept the cost down. He had a bale of insulation too and I had been saving odds and ends to use for insulation. This will help to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Once the roof is on an attic fan will be at each end and soffit vents in each eve space. If I can figure out how to mount it without making the roof leak, I want to make a copula. That's this winter's project.
Photo 1 My garden is to the west of the coop, and I had started to make all new raised beds. 2 back of coop and where the run will be. I already have the chicken door installed. We (my daughter and I) hope to get the coop first coat of paint done and while the paint dry's this weekend knockout several of the raised beds. We have about 100 plants that are under lights that need planted. The grapes are on the north property line of the garden with the vines running onto my daughter's property. We share our property line. 3 You will enter the coop in a space for storage. The wall frame in the inside will have wire covering it and a door. Along the bottom on this wall on the "my space side" there will be a 1" x 8" board that will keep some of the chips with the Ladies. The protective plastic will be taken off the "24" x 96" relights and they will have a frame around them. On the outside of these and the windows I will use hardware cloth with a like frame around them. I have a cutout in the far wall by the blue tub for the POOP Door. On the outside is my compost area. 4 This is the front of the coop. "Nana's Eggcentric Laybrary and Eggacadamy" Once I can get the girls settled in the coop and the run completed, I will be adding a 4' covered deck using outdoor wood in the front that covers the nesting box area and have a couple of chairs there to sit and acknowledge all that has been done. We can sip a glass of wine with those that made it possible. Over the summer the pallets will be taken apart and the wood planed semi smooth, scorched with a torch and stained. They will become the perinate exterior siding.

Attachments

• 1. Garden.JPG
    1. Garden.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2. Run and Coop back.jpg
    2. Run and Coop back.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 3. Enter Coop.jpg
    3. Enter Coop.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 4. Front of Coop.JPG
    4. Front of Coop.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 2
Here are some photos of where I am with the coop currently. My neighbor did an addition on their home, and they had OSB that was used to cover floors. He gave it to me to use. Most of the purchases were "broken edges" items, so it kept the cost down. He had a bale of insulation too and I had been saving odds and ends to use for insulation. This will help to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Once the roof is on an attic fan will be at each end and soffit vents in each eve space. If I can figure out how to mount it without making the roof leak, I want to make a copula. That's this winter's project.
Photo 1 My garden is to the west of the coop, and I had started to make all new raised beds. 2 back of coop and where the run will be. I already have the chicken door installed. We (my daughter and I) hope to get the coop first coat of paint done and while the paint dry's this weekend knockout several of the raised beds. We have about 100 plants that are under lights that need planted. The grapes are on the north property line of the garden with the vines running onto my daughter's property. We share our property line. 3 You will enter the coop in a space for storage. The wall frame in the inside will have wire covering it and a door. Along the bottom on this wall on the "my space side" there will be a 1" x 8" board that will keep some of the chips with the Ladies. The protective plastic will be taken off the "24" x 96" relights and they will have a frame around them. On the outside of these and the windows I will use hardware cloth with a like frame around them. I have a cutout in the far wall by the blue tub for the POOP Door. On the outside is my compost area. 4 This is the front of the coop. "Nana's Eggcentric Laybrary and Eggacadamy" Once I can get the girls settled in the coop and the run completed, I will be adding a 4' covered deck using outdoor wood in the front that covers the nesting box area and have a couple of chairs there to sit and acknowledge all that has been done. We can sip a glass of wine with those that made it possible. Over the summer the pallets will be taken apart and the wood planed semi smooth, scorched with a torch and stained. They will become the perinate exterior siding.
Are the plans for that up for grabs?

It's looking great! 💖

Are the plans for that up for grabs?
I have an Excel spreadsheet with several tabs that I am using as plans. Adjustments "in the field" have been necessary. When I get done I would like to clean the spreadsheet up and would be happy to share them. I believe in the "It takes a Village" principle.

It’s very nice you should make a coop article about it!
I'll think about it. I have been taking photos and some videos so my sister in Idaho can see the progress. The Coop is a way for me to work through traumatic grief. My Dr. suggested that I draw out the plans for something, calculate what it would take to do the project and complete the project as an act of closure and love. When I met with her four months later and I had the foundation done, chicks in the brooder and she was shocked. She was thinking a table or a picture frame....
My husband and I had known each other from early teens, married at 18/20. We would have celebrated our 45th anniversary. He suffered a traumatic brain injury in a workplace accident, March last year. I said my last good by 4 days later. So, I know it is a little over the top, but it will be my happy place. The garden beds will be completed this summer as well. Our two daughters and two grandchildren will have produce to use and healthy eggs for their tables. Ken would have been right next to me with every cut and screw.

Back
Top Bottom